Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Hello, Are you certified on sub zero refrigerators?

Are you certified on sub zero refrigerators?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

First the tech that said R12 is no longer available is correct, the epa required manufacturer's start using another coolant R134 in the middle 1990's.

The other tech that said the overload/relay set is bad could be right. The easiest way to tell is touch the compressor with your hand, the larger one. Your model has 2 compressors. If you touch that compressor and it is warm and vibrating lightly then the overload/relay are good and it is very possible that the coolant has leaked out.

However if it is not vibrating then you may need the overload and relay set. That is the first thing I do when I go to work on a compressor problem, touch it.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

If we are done please leave a rating. If you have a problem leaving a rating please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Barry,

Many thanks. I will try what you recommend. This unit is 21 years old- is it worth spending a bunch $$$ to repair or is it time to replace?

You are very welcome, I certainly do appreciate the opportunity. I don't believe I would, that really is good service and probably near the expected life of the unit. I believe other things are going to start breaking on it. If I could I would replace it.