Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have an odor comming from our refrigerator I"ve cleanned

We have an odor comming from our refrigerator I"ve cleanned the refrigerator and there is still some odor comming from it. Is there a drain pan under the refrigerator if so can you tell us how to get to it the model number fro the refrigerator is PSS25SGMD BS
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Before we narrow down what is causing the odor, is the odor outside your refrigerator in your kitchen? Or is the odor only inside the refrigerator/freezer and can be smelled when you open the door?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The odor is only inside the refrigerator/freezer and can be smelled when I open the door

Ok then that has nothing to do with your drain pan because the drain pan is mounted below the entire unit by the compressor and would only be detected outside the refrigerator, not inside.

So that means that something is causing an odor inside the refrigerator but it's difficult to know exactly what and it can't be removed instantly most of the time because plastic is porous and the odor gets into the plastic walls and such. The best way to remove an odor is to pull everything out of the refrigerator and freezer and turn the unit off. Wipe the refrigerator and freezer down completely with a wet rag of 50% white vinegar and hot water. Then if you get Fabreeze, spray the shelves and walls down and wipe out the interior once again. Lastly because the odor sticks to plastic, get 4 boxes of baking soda and place one in the top and bottom of the refrigerator and freezer section. Within a week or so the odor should be removed.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!