Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have an Amana refrierator Model# XXXXX NEITHER THE

Customer Question

I have an Amana refrierator Model# XXXXX NEITHER THE REFIGERATOR OR THE FREEZER ARE WORKING. THE TEMPERATURE LIGHT SETTINGS WORK AND ARE ON. THE FAN IS RUNNING AND VERY LITTLE AIR IS BLOWING OUT OF THE VENT. I CLEANED THE COILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FRIG WHICH WERE COVERED WITH DUST. PLEASE ADVISE
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Is the fan at the rear operating? Also touch the compressor on the top, Can you feel it vibrating?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes the fan damper at the top rear is opening but noisy. I am not home at the moment but last night when I touched the compressor which I guess is the black round looking piece at the back bottom of the the frig I did not feel any vibration

Yes that is it Lenny, was the compressor room temperature? And also do you have a meter or a test light at home?

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it seemed a little warm and yes I have a meter. are you referring to a power tester that beeps and lights up when it detects an electrical current? if yes then I have one

Yes that is it. If you find power on the compressor wires replace the parts attached to the side of it. I am 95% sure you will find power there. That part attached to the compressor is a common failure. Extremely common, and normally a compressor is close to being uncomfortable to touch.

To replace that part UNPLUG THE UNIT. Remove the retainer clip and cover and pull the part straight off. It will come off in two seperate parts. Have the new part in hand and remove the wires one at a time and place that wire on the new part one at a time so the wires do not get mixed up. 67005560 is the factory part number to shop with.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

If we are done please leave a rating. If you have a problem leaving a rating please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Barry what is the name of that part? When can I buy it locally tooday?

You are very welcome, I appreciate the opportunity.

That part is called an overload/relay set. But if you will just give that number 67005560 they will know exactly what it is. They would have had to look it up anyway. We just saved them the trouble of looking it up.

What I would do is locate some appliance parts suppliers or repair shops and see who had one by calling. That would save you some driving. You can also order that part online, just google it and there will be pages of online stores. I use Repairclinic.com because they have a year warranty. Amazon has them, Partselect.com has them.

I really don't know that you could get it today, I keep them because I am allowed to stock my truck and I know I need them on it but if they are not into doing a lot of refrigerator repairs you may find that some do not.

Barry

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I bought the overload relay that connects to the compressor. It sounds like the compresses working when I touch it is vibrating the fan is working but it doesn't seem to be getting cool air coming out what else do you think it could be
How long has it been operating?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Approximately 1 hour
Give it 4 or 5 hours and you should be able to tell a difference in the freezer though it will not be cold enough yet to be normal and the fresh food part takes a lot longer. You will not feel cold air right away.

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I will check later on. I have a service tech scheduled to stop by between 4. And 8 pm eastern time. Do you think I should cancel until I see if the frig gets cool. It is a $65 visit charge plus parts and labor. They will apply the $65 to any work being done.
Oh yes definitely, reschedule or cancel, I am telling you a lot less than the manufacturer because it does often take a lot less. They recommend 24 hours and I know it does not take that long but it does take a while.

Barry