Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My 14 month old G.E. has a bottom freezer and ice maker in

My 14 month old G.E. has a bottom freezer and ice maker in the upper fridge. The freezer does not cool at all. and of course no ice. The service guy replaced both boards at $350 and the freezer still does not work. The thing is, the freezer seems to think it is working. It says on the front panel that it cooled down to the preset -2 HELP!

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If your freezer thinks that the temperature has actually reached -2 degrees and it's actually too warm, then your thermistor sensor inside the freezer has failed and is just not sensing the temperature properly. It will give a bad reading to the display and then the display will THINK that it's the correct temperature even though it's not. The part number for the temperature sensor in your freezer is wr23x10627 and it's about $25 for the part. It would need to be replaced to fix the issue.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help! I ordered one and it is on its way. Can you tell me where to find this sensor on the Unit?

I would have to be there to see, but if you open the drawer, look toward the back wall of the freezer and it would be located behind a small white plastic cover against the back or side walls, or it could be up against the ceiling by the light cover. It's really hard to know because GE puts it in various places and the diagram is terrible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It ended up being a freon leak. I am getting a new one from G.E.

Hmm, that wouldn't make sense as to why the refrigerator thought it was -2 degrees unless that was just your temperature you set the unit to and not what it actually thought the temperature was, but either way a technician out on site would have a clearer picture of what is happening so there likely is a freon leak. I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your refrigerator either way.