Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have the same problem and have tried pushing the buttons

We have the same problem and have tried pushing the buttons in the sequence instructed above. The lights across the top lit up are 1 and 7.

Any advice please?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

OK perfect. So this error is an RPS sensor failure. What that means is that the RPS sensor is detecting that the motor is struggling and the RPS sensor has likely failed. Now you will want to make sure there is nothing stuck between the inner and outer tub and that the inner basket will slide up and down about 1 inch. If something feels like it's stuck between the basket, then you need to remove the inner basket and remove the article of clothing that's jamming up the basket.

Now assuming you need to replace the RPS sensor which is the repair most of the time for this error, you would need to unplug the washer and tip it backwards so you can work under the washer. Remove the large center nut on the bottom of tub and the entire plastic motor housing will pull off with some force (it's held in on by magnets so you must pull hard). Remove the 5 or 6 bolts around the center of the motor and the motor will pull down so that you can see the RPS sensor which is the little plastic device with a few wires clipped onto the top of the motor. That is the part you'd need to replace.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tyler. Thanks for your help. We are able to move the inner basket up and down without any trouble - nothing seems stuck, so its not that.

Should we still check the RPS sensor? Will we be able to tell whether or not it is faulty once it is out? Where would we buy a new one and at what cost? Or could it be something else?

Lots of questions - I hope thats ok!

Thank you

You can't tell by looking at the RPS sensor if it's good or not unfortunately. You can't even test it. It measures the magnetic force that the stator motor generates. It would just need to be replaced based on the error code you're getting. The cost is usually about $50 for the part and you would need to contact Fisher and Paykel to see where you can order the part or you can just request to be transfered to parts when you call them and they can mail you parts.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've attached a photo - we've got the motor off but are unsure which bit is the RPS sensor? We're assuming its the box shaped piece on the left of the photo? If so - how do we get it off?

Unfortunately the photo didn't come through. Can you try again? Or try to upload it to some place like and give me a link to the image?

Either way, the sensor just pulls straight up off the stator motor and unclips.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is a link to the image on dropbox. Can you please try again?

I don't have a flicker account - are we able to email it?

We don't seem to be able to pull the sensor up off the motor...

OK perfect. That dropbox works. So the yellow, blue, and red wire actually plug directly into the motor. The part to the left of that in the picture with the wires running to it is the RPS sensor and it just pulls straight up and off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its ok - we've figured it out! Its the 3 pronged clip thing with green circuit board...

Thanks heaps for your help! Will give you a great rating. :-)

No problem and I'm glad I could help

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Tyler

I'm not sure if you're still available to help, but we purchased the new RPS Sensor from Fisher & Paykel and have installed it but the machine is still not spinning and now the lights coming up are 1 and 5.

Any ideas would be very welcome!

This error is somewhat similar in that it's telling you it thinks the motor has stalled. Make sure the inner basket isn't jammed and you can still turn it and if so, either the motor is bad or the RPS sensor is bad. Warranty out the RPS sensor and see where you stand, if the problem continues you'd need a new motor.