Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

My kenmore gas dryer, model # XXXXX stopped working.

My kenmore gas dryer, model # XXXXX stopped working. The settings and timer all work but the heat does not come on and the drum does not turn.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me a minute to look up the model number please.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.

Ok thanks Mark, The problem here is likely the thermal fuse has blown.

Take the panel off under the door by removing the 3 screws along the botXXXXX XXXXXp. Pull the panel out then looking from the right side look behind the blower housing, You should see the thermal fuse which looks like this.

graphic

Pull the wires off, test the fuse with a ohm meter, if as I suspect it has blown then the thermal fuse will need to be replaced.

I would like to earn your highest rating, If I provide you with a answer this just means with the symptoms you have supplied me I am letting you know from experience where the problem is, this does not mean however that we have finished, If you have any additional questions please reply.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I am at work right now so I cannot check the fuse yet. However, I will trust your advice and come back to you if that does not fix the problem. Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks Mark

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I replaced the thermal fuse and that did not fix the problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
I'll get back to you when I return to my PC, thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Have you sent a response?

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Do you have a ohm meter?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Somewhere. What do I need to check?

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
First thing you will need to check is the hi limit mounted in the side of where the burner is, pull the wires off, if it reads open it will need to be replaced
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

What does it look like and where is the burner located?

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Give me 20 minutes to get back to my PC, I'm on a service call right now. Thanks!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No problem. I am still at work.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Ok Mark, If the thermal fuse did not do the trick what you will need to do is take the top off the machine, Under the top you will find the tech sheet, on the tech sheet is the instruction on how to run the diagnostic program, This will be your next step in figuring out where the problem is.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I took the top off the dryer and there was no documentation of any kind

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I took off the top and there was no paperwork. I have called Sears to come fix it.