Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

usually I TURN MY START BUTTON TO THE RIGHT AND THE DRYER STARTS

usually I TURN MY START BUTTON TO THE RIGHT AND THE DRYER STARTS WORKING. THE BUTTON JUST SPRINGS BACK TO THE LEFT. BUT NOW WHEN I TRY AND START THE DRYER, I TURN THE START BUTTON TO THE RIGHT AND IT MAKES A HIGH PITCH NOISE AND THE DRYER DOESN'T TURN ON. I'VE REPLACED THE LITTLE MODULE ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE SWITCH, BUT IT'S STILL MAKING THE SOUND AND NOT STARTING THE DRYER. IT'S THAT MODEL DBXR463ED2WW
Hello, My name isXXXXX you for choosing Just Answer, It is my pleasure to assist you today.
You replaced the start switch itself ? Rotary Switch WE4M519 Main Product View
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes...

okay. Now that its replaced it seems to turn correctly again but the dryer wont start is that correct ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It always turned correctly... to the right, the dryer started, the switch would spring back. Even with the new switch, it turns correctly... but it makes a buzzing noise and the dryer doesn't turn on... that's the same thing it did prior to me replacing the start switch.

oh okay I see. reach inside and spin the drum by hand, does it have resistance like the belt is good or does it seem to turn real easy ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has resistance...like the belt is good.

okay, is the buzz you hear when you try to start this loud ? is someone there that can help you for a few minutes ? I need you to have someone turn the start switch for you while you hold the door switch button in and spin the drum while someone turns the start switch to see if this starts. you may have a bad spot on the motor . can you try that ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's fairly loud yes. I'm all alone right now. What should I do?

Okay if its loud it may be a motor issue,Its tough to do alone , maybe you have something you can hold the door button in with like a broom stick or maybe tape it in ? it has to be in all the way though so you can turn the start button while spinning the drum.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay... I'll see what I can do. Can you hold?

sure no problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay... I taped the door switch flat, turned the start switch on and spun the drum and the dryer started! With the tape off, door shut, I turned the start switch... just the old noise. Dryer doesn't start.

Okay unfortunately that's not good news, your motor start windings have failed. the motor has two windings , one for starting the dryer and one for the run once it starts, that's why you can spin the drum and it runs. your doing what the start windings should do but cant. your motor needs to be replaced unfortunately. this is the motor. Drive Motor WE17X10010 Main Product Viewits not an uncommon failure in these. the motor costs around $144.00 however so you need to decide what you want to do. heres a link to order it if you wish. MOTOR sorry for the bad news, thanks , Bryan