Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Microwave FPBM189KFC , humming noise, no power. Replaced

Microwave FPBM189KFC , humming noise, no power. Replaced blown ceramic fuse today. This is an installed over the stove professional model, approx two years old. Anything you may point me to from here that may help would be appreciated. Ty! Libby
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the unit only humming loudly when you actually are running the microwave or does it hum loudly all the time just sitting in place?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Just when starting cook. Not plugged in only. New fuse just installed hasn,t blown - yet.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
OK so that loud humming you hear when the microwave is running usually means that your magnetron is grounding out and needs to be replaced. The microwave would need to be removed, the entire outer shell taken off and then the magnetron unplugged. If you have continuity between one of the terminals on the magnetron to the case of the magnetron, you need to replace the magnetron. If you don't have continuity, plug the microwave in without the magnetron plugged in and run a quick test cycle. If the noise is gone, then you need to replace the magnetron. If it's not gone, you'd need to replace the transformer.

Microwaves are very dangerous to work on I must warn you, so if you wanted to do this yourself, you'll want to wear rubber gloves and after you run the microwave you'll want to wait at least 5 minutes before working on it so that the residual electricity can dissipate.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Checking that now. May I leave chat open while I do, pls? (Wife typing, hubby is experienced in electrical repair and working,)

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Yes, that is fine. Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Infinite resistance between mag terminals and casing 1ohm, resistance between terminals with wires off of magnetron, still loud humming. So transformer is bad, correct? And ty, BTW.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Never a problem. You have loud humming with the magnetron unplugged? If so, then yes you need a new transformer.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.