Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

LG dryer that keeps tripping out the safety thermostat that

LG dryer that keeps tripping out the safety thermostat that on the heating element. I have even taken the vent off the unit and put a pantyhose on the vent after replacing the thermostat, and it keep tripping it.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Panty hose will definitely cause the thermostat to trip because it creates too much back pressure. If you have nothing on the end and it trips---that is a problem. That means you either have a bad cycling thermostat (the thermistor), or your element is grounded out to the case of the heating canister. Remove the 2 wires going to the heating element and check for continuity between the heating canister and one of the heating element terminals. If there is any continuity, you need to replace the heating element. If it's open, then replace the thermistor assuming the vent is not the problem.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is the cycle thermostat the one next to the safety thermostat?

It is not. That is the high limit thermostat. The thermistor (cycling thermostat) is mounted to the lint filter blower wheel housing. Below is a link to the part.