Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Propane oven burner . When re-Ignighting sometimes sounds like

Customer Question

Propane oven burner . When re-Ignighting sometimes sounds like a Blowtorch & has a larger flame & white tips.
Submitted: 10 months ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The number you have listed is actually a manufacture number. Do you have the model which would start with letters and not numbers?

Also, which burner are you talking about exactly? And this only happens sometimes?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The Oven burner, yes sometimes but always happens every time I use the ovenIll pull stove partially out to try to find Mdl #. This is in an Rv
That is very strange that it happens sometimes and not other times and only on the bake burner. There is supposed to be a regulator that controls the flow of gas to all burners in case it's too high. But other than that, a valve just opens and closes (nothing in between) and there is a brass nozzle that gives gas flow to the burner. So the only thing that could really cause an intermittent problem is the oven regulator valve which is what I would probably recommend replacing. It's weird that it only affects the oven burner and that's it would be my only concern.

As for the model number, you should never need to pull the oven out to get the model. You would need to open the door or possibly remove the drawer below the door to see the model somewhere. On cooktops that just lift up for cleaning, sometimes the model tag is inside the cooktop and can be seen when you lift the cooktop up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Probably recommend replacing ????
It's the only part that can cause your symptoms. So yes, this is the part I would recommend replacing if what you are describing is accurate. It's definitely not a common issue if it's only happening on one burner and none of the others experiencing it so I would want to see it for myself to believe it to be sure you're describing it accurately, but if what you're saying is accurate, then the regulator needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes I'm describing it accurately.I was inspecting the gas valve in the oven. I now see the Regulator in the top of the stove installed on the primary feed . Looks like a # XXXXX regulators we've all seen . And now see your discomfort about it only happening in the oven. & that doesn't make sense, I agree. I can only assume that the valve in the oven only opens so far,it's either open or closed with no adjustment? What about the oven on/off control?
Aye, there is no adjustment on the oven valve itself or the on/off control. The valve use opens and closes and nothing more. The valve can fail in a way that it sticks and doesn't open at all or possibly just cracks open, but can never fail in a way that opens TOO far allowing too much gas through.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well you've answered. Some questions and confirmed how I understand my oven works . So it's switch out the regulator and hope I'm not waiting money. No exact answer. Thank you for your help. You tell me how to rate your help and I will
So sometimes process of elimination is all you can go off. If you had a water column test you could put that over the gas nozzle that feeds the bake burner and that would confirm that you're getting over 7 water columns of pressure, but usually only technician would have such a device. Not to mention the problem is sporadic so you'd have to catch it when it's actually acting up. Not exactly the easiest thing to do. But this is the exact same thing I would need to do if I was at your house if I couldn't see it occur and test the problem, I would replace the regulator valve. There should be an option to rate my service below the text box I believe.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No more questions
alright, you have a great weekend then.