Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

Whirlpool refrigerator model w 4 t x n w f w q 0 3. Complaint

Whirlpool refrigerator model w 4 t x n w f w q 0 3. Complaint was freezer ok fridge warm. What I'm finding is evaporator test ok but will only run when thermostat is turned off. When thermostat is moved to on position the compressor kicks on and the evap fan shuts off
Hi, My name is Chas

I am looking at the wiring diagram at this time, it shows that the compressor is in series with the fan motor, it should be running when the compressor is running, have you checked the outlet for proper polarity?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Outlet has 120 volts and polarity test ok
But you say the compressor runs when turned on and the evap fan motor stops when turned on.. Have you checked for the voltages at the evap motor with the compressor running?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get 120 volts and fan is running when I open fridge door. Close fridge door compressor runs but no light comes on in fridge and evap fan shows no voltage
Here is the wiring diagram, that would be impossible if you look at this... something had to been modified for that to happen

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This unit is in an apt complex. All I know is what I'm observing. Compressor on when thermostat is moved to on position but evap motor quits running unless you turn thermostat on. Could a bad door switch cause this? I swear I'm observing what I'm telling you
THe evap motor should be running with thermostat on and stop running when the thermostat is turned off, see you last response to make sure that you did not send me incorrect info..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand. But it's not. Fan only turns on when thermostat is turned to OFF and the fridge door has to be open. When I close fridge door with thermostat off the fan quits but when u open fridge door it comes on
Try this, remove the light bulb and see if the same thing happens with the fan motor...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took bulb out, closed fridge door then opened it and fan would not come on. Fan now doesn't come on in either the on or off position of thermostat. Waited a couple minutes had thermostat in off position and fan came on. I slowly turned bulb and fan quit running once bulb removed. Put bulb back in fan runs when thermostat is in off position. Bulb will not come on regardless
There is a broken wire somewhere to the fan motor, you are getting backfeed through the light bulb, that is what is happening.. you will need to see if you have any open wiring between the fan motor and the neutral side of this. I have to admit I have never seen such a thing on something like this..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

one more question- should I buy new wiring that's available for this model?

I don't think it is available on these models... You would have to contact a supplier for it..

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see two wiring harnesses on sears. I was thinking of ordering those two. Appreciate your help immensely