Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

This is for an expert with appliances: I have a side by

This is for an expert with appliances:

I have a side by side GE refrigerator that is approximately ten years old. About a month ago, I came home to find water on the floor in front of the fridge. I pulled it out from the wall, but could find no way to get into the appliance to check the "overflow" pan in the freezer section. This did not happen again.

This morning, I noticed that there was a thick layer of ice on the floor of the freezer. Can you tell me what is going on here? Do I need to get a service representative out to check on it?

By the way, I am a 66 year old widow, disabled, and not "handy". I know "zilch" about appliances, other than how to plug them in.

Thanks for your help.

Hello, My name isXXXXX you for choosing Just Answer, It is my pleasure to assist you , This is a common issue on these, Your defrost drain is clogged behind the panel inside the back of the freezer, remove your food and then the back panel in the freezer(not outside inside behind your food) you will see silver coils, in the center under those coils you will see a sheet of ice, boil water and pour it over the ice until its all gone and the water drains freely again. if you can do it yourself have someone help you, its not that hard a job and you shouldn't need a tech to do it just someone to help you get the panel out. they do make a drain heater to help prevent that and its easy to install. heres a link to that part,.drain heater just click that blue link. I hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service before you sign off, If you need more info, please ask me - I'll be happy to reply. You can always ask follow-up questions until you have the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you! have a great Day ! Bryan