Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Jennair JES9860AAB -halogen cartridge the front burner blew

Jennair JES9860AAB -halogen cartridge the front burner blew out and tripped the fuse. Now when the front control is used it only is in "high" back is off. When using back control the back heats correctly but the front comes on also at "high" only! Took panel off and don't see any apparent "burn residue.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the front burner is turning on when you turn on the back element, the thermostat from the FRONT burner has failed. Both these burners will share the same L2 (120 volts) heat, but each burner switch supplies L1 (the other 120 volts) to the burner so that the burner can complete the circuit and heat with 240 volts. Your front burner switch is sending 120 volts to the burner all the time coming from the L1 on the front switch. Just replace the switch and you should be good to go again.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Looks good but wouldn't the front burner be on a lower setting if its only getting the 120 feed? It is on high.

Not exactly. It won't heat at all with 120 volts if it's not getting neutral or in your case the other 120 volts. The front burner will always get the other 120 volts when either the front burner or the rear burner is turned on because they share the L2 power. It may be hard to understand if you don't have a firm understanding of electronics, but in the end you really just need to know that the front burner switch is the part that needs to be replaced to fix this problem.