Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have the Frigidaire washer/dryer combo unit and the washer

I have the Frigidaire washer/dryer combo unit and the washer is making a bad "thunking" noise when its in the final spin cycle. I just had a repair technician tell me that he thought a rear beariing had gone out and it would cost as much to reapir it as it would to buy a new unit. Does this unit have a rear bearing and do you think his advice was correct?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you hear the washer thumping about 1 time per revolution when the washer is on high speed spin even with no clothes inside the basket?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I do hear the thumping when the washer is on high speed spin. When I spin the drum manually, I hear sort of a scraping/grinding sound.

OK so unfortunately the technician is correct. The bearing has gone bad and in addition to that, the shaft that goes through the bearing must be replaced. Now the bearing is part of the rear outer tub and the shaft is part of the inner stainless steel tub and can't be replaced separately. It's a difficult job that will take the majority of the day to replace the parts. The parts alone are about $600 + shipping. The inner basket is part numberNNN-NN-NNNNand the rear outer tub is partNNN-NN-NNNN Most people don't repair the washer when this issue happens because the cost for a technician to replace the parts is about $800-900 with parts, trip, and labor.