Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi Tyler, My son put regular dishwasher liquid into my bosch

Customer Question

Hi Tyler, My son put regular dishwasher liquid into my bosch shx56. It worked for a while then stopped. We've replaced the drain pump and removed all of the water from the bottom pan. It seems to be doing everything now except for heating the water.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is there water in the tub now and do you get suds inside the unit if you let it wash for 5 minutes or so?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It's draining properly now. I don't know about the suds. Haven't checked. Not draining was the first problem we had. Replaced the drain pump and it fixed that but continued to run with little water. Checked the float switch found lots of water. Pumped it out and now it appears to be working great. Put rinse agent in. But not getting that blast of steam when I open it at the end and the dishes are very wet.

Not sure which buttons to push for the diagnostic test.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
There is no diagnostics test on this dishwasher. Is the dishwasher completing the cycle and draining at the end even though it's not heating? Or does the dishwasher just run forever and never stop?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The first . Completing the cycle and draining at the end but no heat.

The second one was the first problem we had which I think we fixed by replacing the drain pump. That's what I think anyway! :)

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
So this dishwasher should never finish a cycle if it's not heating. It's designed to keep washing until the water gets up to the correct temperature---so are you sure that it's finishing the cycle?

If it's finishing the cycle, then you have a common issue and you just have a bad control board, but you'll need the full model to look up the correct board. There are 2 more numbers after the UC that tell you what board you'd need and the model is located on a sticker on the right side of the door and can be seen if you just open the door.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Is it the control board that is $380??????

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
I would need the full model with the 2 digits at the end to know what part number you need exactly and how much it costs---but the price is usually not that high.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I'm so sorry. Duh. The two numbers are 43

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Wow, ok so you are correct this board is incredibly expensive for this unit at just under $400. That is quite an expensive part price for Bosch dishwashers normally, but the part number you need is 446048. Normally the board is only about $150. I'm really sorry about the price.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok just one more question. You are sure that it's not the solder on the whatever part on the front like some of the boards say? My husband has a soldering tool! :)

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
You can remove the board, split the case and solder the solder joint if it looks burnt on the back of the board---that is one option. But even is this is the case, Bosch does NOT recommend this as a repair because on MANY (not just 1 or 2 but several) occasions, soldering the board can possibly get the unit working again, but then the board has been known to catch on fire days, weeks, or months later.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

We disassemblied the control board but there was nothing blown. Everything looked fine. Now it's back to it's original problem which is running forever with the number on 1.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
OK so to fix that issue, you'd need to replace the control board whether you see a problem or not.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi Tyler, We found that control board for $160 on ebay! Maybe they didn't know what they had. Anyway, installed it and although it's completing a full cycle now with the steam at the end, it seems that the dishes just aren't getting clean. I don't think the spray arm is rotating now. We also filled it up with JetDry.

Could all of these problems be the result of my son putting the liquid dish soap in the unit?

What do we need to replace now?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
is the dishwasher filling up with water at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

when I open it during the cycle, it appears that water is spitting and dripping from the arms

it doesn't appear to be filling

maybe continually draining????? but I don't hear it going through the sink the whole time, only at the beginning

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

You need to figure out if it's filling or not. If it's not filling, then your dishwasher is continuously draining and the unit is stuck in flood mode so you'd need to uninstall the dishwasher, remove the left side panel and remove the water in the base or make sure that the styrofoam puck (float device) is seated on the floor properly. If it's washing and filling but it's just not spraying---you'd need to replace your impeller kit on the circulation motor.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok. You know we removed the water in the base once but perhaps it's wet again since we've had it in and out and in and out.

Replacing my propeller arm was the next thing I thought we'd do.

Thanks so much Tyler. Happy Thanksgiving!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Alright, well good luck to you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi Tyler,

Checked the machine again. No water in the bottom and it doesn't appear that the float was disengaged. However, the problem is definitely that it is stuck in drain mode. Doesn't fill up. Spits water and then drains. Spits water and then drains.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure what to say since you already replaced the control board. Unless the control board came faulty, you'd want to call a technician to come out and look at the machine to see what might be causing the problem because it's just not adding up.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

That's what my husband says. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
I'm really sorry about all the problems you're having.