Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My GE FUF4DVRWW is not freezing. The compressor feels like

My GE FUF4DVRWW is not freezing. The compressor feels like it is running and is hot to the touch. I removed the inside cover and see the evaporator fan is running. I also see the evaporator coil is only frosted at the input (not by thermostat). Is this the thermostat?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is not a bad thermostat. If the thermostat were bad, the fan and compressor wouldn't be running because it would think it's down to temperature already. You have 3 possible problems however. You could have a bad overload relay, a bad compressor, or a freon leak. The first thing you need to do is just pull the refrigerator forward and just listen to the compressor for about 5 minutes. If it's humming along the entire 5 minutes, then you likely have a freon leak. If the compressor turns on for a few seconds and you here it hum, then you hear a click this means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!