Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

My Whirlpool dishwasher just went through a cycle - washed

My Whirlpool dishwasher just went through a cycle - washed and dried the dishes - everything normal. Except that the "cancel and drain" green light keeps flashing - about 8 to 10 times, then stops, then starts flashing again. What can I do to stop it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Try hitting the following buttons one at a time,

High temp wash

Heated dry

High temp wash

Heated Dry

Then hit cancel, wait for the pump to stop then try to set a new cycle, if this fails to clear the problem get back to me :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, If I provide you with a answer this just means with the symptoms you have supplied me I am letting you know from experience where the problem is, this does not mean however that we have finished, If you have any additional questions please reply.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hello - I tried your suggestions:

Press High Temp Wash

Press Heated Dry

Press High Temp Wash

Press Heated Dry

Then Hit Cancel

Didn't work - the green light is still flashing

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok Yalonda, can you give me the full model and serial number from the sticker around the door jamb please.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Whirlpool Dishwasher - says Energy Star #(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

There will be a sticker around the door jamb with the model and serial number.

Similar to the picture below.

graphic

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Found it -

MOD DU1145X TPB8

TYPE NO. 575-8

SERIAL # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

(Hard to tell difference between the "B" and the "8" - hope I got it right.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX give me a minute to look that model number up
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, please!

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok Yalonda, Your problem here is a button or buttons have shorted on the touch pad, First try grabbing a hair dryer and gently warm the touch pad up, When warm massage the buttons in an attempt to free the shorted buttons up. Turn the power back on then try the unit in a new cycle.

If that fails to clear the problem then you will need to replace the touch pad, This is built into the panel so the control panel will need to be replaced.

To do this open the door, take all the screws out around the inner liner behind the control panel. Lift the control panel out, you will then need to swap the control board and door latch to the new panel (few screws and wires)

To order your replacement part>>>>> CLICK HERE <<<<< To order your replacement part.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike - I tried what you suggested - didn't work. I pushed Cancel/Drain again - it seemed to be "going through the motions" of cancelling and draining - for several minutes - then stopped and that green light of the cancel/drain action went off. However, now the "Clean" light is flashing. Can I do anything more? I am moving to another state in a matter of several days, so if I can't stop that light (or any other light) from flashing, is there a way I can just "disconnect the dishwasher"? I cannot afford at this time to buy a new one - my husband died on June 16th and the estate is not yet settled. I just would like (if possible) to correct this issue. I can wash dishes by hand for a few days. A new owner would (I am told by the Realtor) replace the entire kitchen. I am 77 years old and cannot do the replacement of the touch panel myself and can't afford either the time or money to repair this one. Your advice, please.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok this tells me there is a problem with the heat system.

Try hitting the following buttons again

Press High Temp Wash

Press Heated Dry

Press High Temp Wash

Press Heated Dry

Then Hit Cancel

If this does not clear the problem the only thing you can do is shut off the breaker and let the new buyers replace the dishwasher.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I finally shut it off via the circuit breaker. I'm sorry it had to come to that, but I appreciate your service. I will rate you "excellent service" - thank you.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Thanks I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks!

Mike.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Hi Yolanda,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,