Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

The ice maker made way too much ice and my dad couldnt get

The ice maker made way too much ice and my dad couldn't get the ice holder out. He "turned off" the ice maker. I was able to get the ice holder out and remove the ice. later we couldn't get water to dispense. The light on the "ice off" would not go off and then I noticed the light inside was not coming on when the door opened. Not sure what my folks could have done, but I thought maybe unplugging would reset it. It did reset the ice make light, but the light inside is still off and the water is still not dispensing. Is there a reset button somewhere? Anything I can try?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, couldn't find where your reply was. FGHB2844LFD Fridgidaire Gallery

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thats okay,,we got it,,give me just a couple of minutes.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
What you will need to do is replace the control board at the bottom of the refrigerator.

If you remove the panel at the very bottom under the doors you will see a kind of a box attached to the floor. In other words if you turned the fridge over and looked at the very bottom its there attached to the floor with one screw and a strip of metal that holds it up there.

Remove that screw, the box slides out then you will need to disconnect the wires. Thats where it is.That board has a relay on it for the lights and if the lights are still out that is where you need to go to repair it. Replace that board.

Please if there are any questions you need to ask me do that. I will be happy to help to the best of my ability. If you understand and have none leave a rating for me.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't sound like something I can do. The fridge sounds like it's running, so it's ok, correct?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I would think if the refrigerator is still cooling the section of the board that controls that part was not affected. Its a relay that is not turning on the lights. Its powered by a low voltage transformer and the door switch. There are other components in the fridge that are also controlled the same way, (Low voltage and relay) so I would think that if its still cooling its not a major failure but it should be repaired at some point in the future.

And you can do it,,,it really sounds more difficult than it is.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that's the light part. But what about the water not dispensing? Same relay thing?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes same board, it controls the whole refrigerator.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! I feel so much better. I will try to fix tomorrow!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, honestly the most difficult part is getting down in the floor, it really is not a difficult job. Unplug the fridge and change it.

Thank you for the opportunity to help! You and your family take the best of care.
Barry