Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a 6 year old GE french door refrigerator with freezer

We have a 6 year old GE french door refrigerator with freezer on the bottom. I think I'm pretty familiar with the interior of the fridge since I clean it every few months and take out all the shelves. Just recently, I noticed a small 1/2 inch oval hole in the back wall where cold air blows into the unit. Do you think this has always been there and I've just never noticed before? Or could there have been a plug which fell out?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you tell me the exact location of the hole? Is it near the bottom behind the crisper drawers or the meat deli drawer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is approximately mid-way between the top and bottom of the refrigerator compartment, so it falls above the crisper and the deli drawer. Also, it is about 3 inches to the left of center.

So that hole is supposed to be behind the deli drawer but it is normal. It sounds like your deli drawer isn't installed in the correct location. You will need to raise the deli drawer to cover that hole.