Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi- I have a GE profile harmony washer that is giving me a

Customer Question

Hi- I have a GE profile harmony washer that is giving me a error message: "Clutch is not mehcanically engaging with basket properly". I have unplugged and turned back on. No luck. Model #WPGT9350COWW. Wondering how much for the part? Is is a do-it-yourself repair? Or should I buy a new machine (would it be more cost efficient?)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately this is really not a do-it-yourself project because it requires specialty tools in order to separate the tub from the clutch to replace the clutch. The part number you'd need to have replaced is part wh39x10003 and it costs about $200 so it's definitely not a cheap repair at all. If you wanted someone to come in and replace the part for you, I'd be expecting about $350 for the repair. It's a lot cheaper than a new Harmony washer, but it's still every expensive so that would be a tough decision on whether it's worth repairing or not.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so....I have the washer and dryer combined together (they "communicate") Any idea if I can buy a separate/different washer and still have the dryer work? I don't need the "communication". I can press a few buttons.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, that is the big problem with having these Harmony washer and dryer units. You can not replace just the washer, you would have to replace the entire set which is why it's probably best to just repair the washer if everything has been taken care of well over the past few years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ugh. that sucks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, It's one of the reasons I don't recommend Harmony washer/dryers and why I don't recommend microwave oven built-in combos.