Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience

we cleaned the coils underneath the side by side - its cooling

we cleaned the coils underneath the side by side - it's cooling but not enough to keep frozen at proper temp

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Do you hear the fan running in the freezer running? If so, you will need to pull the inside rear cover of the freezer off to expose the cooling coil. Please let me know if the cooling coil is lighted frosted from top to bottom, not at all, or partially. There are about 6-8 screws for this cover to come off....thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the coil is partially frosted - frosted at bottom but wet at top

Ok, thank you for that. There is a Freon issue with this unit. Please refer to owners manual to see if sealed system is still under warranty. If so, call repair# in manual. If not under warranty, expect cost of repair to be around $500+. If this information has assisted you on your question, please give me a great rating.....Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does this mean the compressor needs to be replaced?

No, There would not be a frost pattern if the compressor was not running. The frosting of the cooling coil tells us that the compressor is running, but the Freon is either low, or restricted, not allowing it to travel thru as it should. Like a kink in a water hose for example, still get water, but not enough. Thanks again