Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience
63955563

I have a manual defrost 10 single door GE refrigerator that

I have a manual defrost 10' single door GE refrigerator that is 11 years old. It never shuts off. A repairman installed a new thermostat & it is still not shutting off. Temp stays at 25 degrees no matter when you set the thermostat. What needs to be done to fix the problem. Model GMS10AAMARWW Serial DD981153
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

You are measuring the temp with a thermometer? and it says 25 degrees. Food is freezing in the fridge? Where is the thermometer setting if you are using one please?....Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The thermomoter is sitting on the self in the center of the frig. Water froze in freezer department. Nothing freezing on shelves.

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

If the food is not freezing in the fridge, then the temp could not be at 25 degrees. The water freezing in the freezer tells us that the temp in that section, which is the cooling device, show to be good. If the unit seems to be running all the time, it could be from the temp of your house, or where it is stored. Another possible cause could be from the door seal leaking, please all the way around the door to make sure seal is good and sealing well. The last cause could be the black condenser coil on the back side of the fridge being dusty, or too close to the wall not to get ventilation. You may want to look again at the freezer portion and make sure frost pattern is all the way thru the raised portions of the shelf, it should be. Please let me know what you find....thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Frost pattern is not even in freezer. Mostly frost is in back. It is in our basement so not overly warm area. Door seal was checked by serviceman. Black condenser is not dirty. Does not even shut off when pulled into open area.

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

A cooling coil that is not frosted thru means there is a Freon issue with the fridge. But, this does not makes sense with a 25 degree fridge. There is something fishy here. Does a glass of water freezer in the fridge as well, as it should if 25 degrees?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Rechecked & refrigerator temp is 35 degrees. Water does not freeze in the refrigerator.

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
The temp control or compressor being heated to much is only thing to make long run times. Being thermostat was replaced, put a fan behind the fridge blowing on the big black round compressor at the bottom back there. This should help in long run times. If it does not, have thermostat replaced again. Everything else is checking perfect here. I hope this information helps. Please give me a positive rating if I have done so....Thank you
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: 15yrs experience