Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have the same problem with this model, but the fan is not

I have the same problem with this model, but the fan is not working. There is no frost, even when I take off then back panel inside the freezer I don't see any. the fan does come on sporadically, but is very loud. When it is running, which can be for hours, the fridge is cold. When and how long it runs is unpredictable. Any help on this would be appreciated!

Also, I realize it is old, so feel free to tell me ifmitmis simply time to get a new one!

Thank you!! -Lida
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Do you have a multi meter to check for voltage at the fan motor when it should be running but is not?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We have a volt meter. Is that what you mean? Or is this something different? We have a volt meter, but not a multi meter.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Volt meter is what I am talking about, do you have 120 volts at the fan motor when it should be running but is not?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Looks like I was wrong. We have a voltage tester but it only gives positive or negative results. If this will still be helpful, I can go test it. It will take a few minutes to take thepanel off again.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Yes it would be helpful, just need to see if there is voltage there.
Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Lida,
Did you check to see if you have power at the fan motor yet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes, sorry - looks like my answer didn't go through. I checked and the black wire to the fan has power, even though it is not turning.

Also, there is now some frost, where there wasn't previously, but it doesn't appear to be blocking anything.
Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Lida, then just replace the fan motor, you can click on the blue link below to order it..

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech