Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My ice maker was making ice and filling up the bin...then it

My ice maker was making ice and filling up the bin...then it was SLOWLY filling up the bin. Now it doesn't make ice at all. A technician came today and removed a small piece if ice from the ice maker. He said it was just a jam and left. Doesn't it sound more like the lines in the door are frozen? Assuming they are, how can I fix that myself? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

You are removing the ice from the fill tube, is that correct? The tube at the rear or over the top of the ice maker (depending on the model)?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Whirlpool side-by-side

WRS526S1AH00

The ice maker is in the door. I would like to be able to unfreeze (or clear) the tube in the door (I think).

Thanks!

Oh I see, I have seen your model but I am not familiar with it. I will put your question back up for all techs. You take care, thank you for the opportunity and have a nice weekend.

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX you for choosing Just Answer, It is my pleasure to assist you today. okay you say the water would fill up slowly and overflow the ice maker ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No. At first, everything worked great. After a few months, the ice maker would take longer and longer to fill the ice bin up. Now (a few months more) it doesn't make ice at all. **It will run through it's cycles but it only produces 1 (approximately) cube every so often. Basically it isn't making ice. I believe the water tubes may be frozen because I can see that no water is coming into the ice maker when the solenoid valve opens....there's just a trickle. That trickle freezes into a solid piece of ice (over time) that completely blocks water from getting into the ice maker.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Ah I see, yes you are absolutely correct, these will freeze in the ceiling of the freezer which is very difficult to clear. the best way to be sure is to pull the refrigerator out and you will see a plastic tube going up the back to the ice maker, it will have a quick connector to split the line. push the collars in and pull the tube out and blow through it, if you cant its frozen. graphic
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. I believe the tube enters the door from the bottom...right around the hinge. If I can verify it is frozen...how do I fix it?

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
actually it doesn't go up to the ice maker through the door in this but you can tell by just pulling the refrigerator out and looking at the back, theres a line for the ice maker in the back, the one you see at the bottom that goes up through the door hinge is for the water in the door, the ice maker is separate. defrosting it is time consuming,. you need to warm the whole roof of the refrigerator up until the line defrosts.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The ice maker is installed in the door. There are 2 water tubes entering the door from the bottom...at the hinge. I am confident the tubes run through the door...from the bottom. Are you unable to help me?

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.

MMM okay I'm sorry I must have had the wrong diagrams theres only one way to unfreeze the line in the door since its very insulated and a hair dryer warming it would help but in most cases getting some plastic and taping off the light switch in the freezer ten taping off the freezer section and leave the door open over night to let it defrost.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok. thank you. I'll try that

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay have a great night, thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.