Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My whirlpool trash compactor makes a whirring sound and now

My whirlpool trash compactor makes a whirring sound and now does not open. What should I do next?
Hello, My name isXXXXX you for choosing Just Answer, It is my pleasure to assist you today. You can hear a motor running but its not moving up or down and get the door open ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I turn it on, it makes a whirring sound. The door won't open.

What happened is that I usually keep it on and then pushed the start button this AM. Then I heard a "crack" sound and then it started whirring and wouldn't stop. Now the door won't open

okay the drive gear or the chain broke, do you have a model number ? these are all different and I need a model number to see whats in yours.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

where do I look for it? It's a whirlpool compactor - looks like it is from 2005

actually I was hoping you had it written down because these are usually inside the drawer when you open it. the only thing I can suggest at this point is to slide the compactor out from under the counter and see if the motor assembly is in the back or if there is a main gear on the bottom if you tip it over and look underneath, you may have to unplug this and turn the gear by hand to get the compactor up into the open position. the ram has to be up to open it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do I slide it out? It looks pretty fixed in place.

I think the model number might be(NNN) NNN-NNNN It came with the house when we bought the house 2 years ago

well they are very heavy but slide out. sorry this is such a pain but they do slide out. that model number doesn't come up unfortunately.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, I slid it out, now what? there is motor thing in the back

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I opened the motor thing in the back - it looks like a motor. I don't see any gears

okay tip this over a bit and see if theres a cover that covers a chain assembly underneath.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is a chain assembly and a white gear that has snapped into 3 pieces.

How do I rotate the chain to raise the ram so I can open the door?

yup that's what I thought. actually that can be tough. the large white gear is what you would have used to turn the ram up. can you get a pair of vice grips on it and wind it up ? I'm not sure which direction though. counter clockwise I think.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is this easy to fix or should I get a new compactor? If it is easy to fix, how much might I expect it to be?

If I get a new compactor, what brand do you find most reliable?

well its a pretty easy fix and it comes with instructions. All the compactors today are about the same so buying a new one is probably not a good idea. , I believe I found you gear assembly. Drive Gear Kit 882699 Main Product Viewit should look like that correct ? heres a link to order it Gear its around $25.00 and theres a video at that link to show you how to do it. thanks and best wishes and please remember to rate me 3 or above before singing off so I get credit for helping you. thanks Bryan