Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Our new Maytag gas built-in oven was just installed today.

Our new Maytag gas built-in oven was just installed today. Everything appears to be working but when set to bake or broil it does not get past a moderate temperature. When on bake and set for 350, it reads 100 degrees and stays on that.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

The problem is the gas ignitor on the oven, it is not getting to the proper voltage pull to open the gas valve to ignite. Very easy item to replace and takes maybe 30 minutes or less to do with common tools. You can order the correct ignitor for your oven by clicking on the blue link below.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We can see that it is igniting

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
You see the ignitor glowing, not the flames lighting?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

we see the reflection of the flames

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
If you have flame you have to be over 100 degrees in the display. Are you sure that you see flame?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We're not sure but the oven does heat up to a low temperature

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
If you remove the bottom pan from the oven and watch for an actual flame.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We do not see a flame, just an orange light glowing from a small rectangular unit in the back of the oven...the ignitor?

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Yes that is what the problem is, it is breaking down and not pulling 3.2 amps that are needed to make the gas valve open to light. replace the ignitor...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The oven is brand new and was just installed today--it has a 1 yr. warranty.

Who should we contact? Maytag? The store that sold it to us?

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Okay, did you turn the gas on to the oven after the install?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes they did

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
There is a pressure regulator where they hook the gas line to the oven, it has a small red clip as you can see in the picture, can you see the regulator?

Pressure Regulator 74005551 Main Product View
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Wouldn't I have to pull out the oven? It's too heavy. It took 2 men to put it in.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
It is item "G" in the diagram, and it appears to be all the way at the bottom of the oven

graphic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

A platform had to be installed to hold the oven in place.

They kept a fake drawer that could be opened to get to the gas valve but you can't see anything above that platform.

(I can't open up your graphic although I'm not sure it would help.)

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Can you touch the regulator with your hand?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No, the tubing goes up through a hole in the platform making it unable to reach the regulator.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
I think they did not flip the shut off on the regulator and not allowing the gas to come in.. You will need the installer to come out and pull the oven out and flip the red lever on the regulator..

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech