Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands Self employed owner at All Better Appliance
41736587

I have an Amana refrigerator model #sbd21vpse. the water dispenser

I have an Amana refrigerator model #sbd21vpse. the water dispenser has stopped working. The ice maker works fine. If I press the water button and wait, in about 2 minutes water will dispense. just recently the water dispenser has stopped working completely. Is there a water pump in there? what is causing this problem?

Repairman1981 :

there is a water valve that could be bad. Do you hear it humming when you press the button? Does yours have a filter on it, and has it been changed?

Customer:

I have replaced the water filter already. ther is a slight humm when i press the button.

Repairman1981 :

if your getting the hum it's likely the filter head not the valve. The way I usually test this without getting too complicated is to remove the filter, shake the water out of it. When you put it back in try the water. If you have normal pressure and it backs off it's the filter head. If you don't and you stick with none or the delay it's the valve.

Repairman1981 :

This is all assuming you don't see water leaking on the floor

Customer:

there is no water on the floor

Repairman1981 :

the do that test and report back .... It's either the valve or the filter head. I would guess filter head

Customer:

is the filter head where the filter attaches?

Repairman1981 :

yep

Repairman1981 :

Just remove the filter ... shake it out .... put it back in and report what the dispenser does

Customer:

still no water

Repairman1981 :

after removing it. ..... that's a bad valve then

Repairman1981 :

lemme get you a part number and some swapping info

Customer:

where is the valve located?

Repairman1981 :

12544001 is the part number, you can order from 1-888-464-2853 or your welcome to google it. It's on the back by the compressor

Repairman1981 :

It's a 1/4" compression nut to hold the supply line to the valve, then 2 water lines and 2 electrical connections. Be sure to kill the power (water and electric doesn't mix)

Repairman1981 :

The valve is held in by 2 screws

Repairman1981 :

not a big deal to change ... just cut off the water and the power and basic hand tools

Customer:

sounds easy enough. how sure r u that will fix the problem?

Repairman1981 :

99% .... if you hear it humming it's getting power. So that rules out switch wiring etc. If you get no water and the filter head isn't the issue the valve is all that's left

Repairman1981 :

I'm not saying you won't pull it out and find a cracked water line spraying on the compressor, or a kinked water line behind the unit when you slide it out .... or something of that nature

Repairman1981 :

Since I'm not there I can't be 100% on anything hardly. But I see these often enough that I'm a solid 99% on it

Customer:

will i access the valve from under the fridge or in bacl?

Repairman1981 :

it's in the back ... you don't have to lean it or anything

Repairman1981 :

Remove the lower machine compartment panel ... it's kinda in the back panel .... you'll see when you slide it out

Customer:

is it right where the water line attaches?

Repairman1981 :

yep ... it's the piece the water attaches to

Customer:

Ok sounds great I'll order that part tomorrow. I really appreciate your help. Thank you