Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kennmore Wall oven. I accidently hit the oven clean

I have a Kennmore Wall oven. I accidently hit the oven clean button and instead of the broil button. Now, I can't use my oven. It won't come on. A flashing light says Lock door, but I don't know how. I try to hit the off button. I even turned the breaker off and turned it back on the the lock door message is still flashing. This happened about 2 weeks ago. Can you assist me?
Submitted: 10 months ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the door currently locked shut? Or does it open and close like normal? Or is the door stuck open but the lock is in the latched position so that you can't shut the door?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No, the door is not locked. The door opens/closes as normal. I don;t know how to lock the door

OK do you happen to have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker around the frame of the oven and can be seen if you open the door
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The model number is XXXXX

That's actually the manufacturing number. The model will be all numbers. Can you look again for the model please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Try this XXXXXXXXXXX Serial#216775720

I'm sorry about the delay again, but can you re-send the model with a space between each number so that I can see it? The website is blocking the model because it looks too much like a phone number so all I can see is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

011.30469894

Perfect, thank you for that. So this unit has an automatic door latch assembly and it commonly fails. Also, you should know that this oven is actually a GE oven made for Sears and sold under the Kenmore name. Either way, open the door and look at the door latch hook just below the control panel above the oven. Wiggle this latch in case it's jamming up and not moving. Next, shut the door and turn the circuit breaker off to the oven. Turn the breaker on 60 seconds later and see if the door lock message will go away. If not, try to start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds, then cancel it if it lets you start the self clean cycle. If the message will not go away, your latch assembly has just failed and it's stuck somewhere between the locked an unlocked position so it's not sure whether the latch is locked or not which is why you're getting the message. The latch would need to be replaced to fix the issue at this point.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok, that didn't work. I wiggle the latch it really didn't do anything. We turned the braker off and waited 60 seconds. The message came back on. When I push trhe clean button nothing is happening. I don't hear anything.

Ok so unfortunately the latch itself would need to be replaced I'm afraid to say. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for latch assembly

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.