Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Our Samsung Frontloading washing machine flashes "LO" early

Our Samsung Frontloading washing machine flashes "LO" early in the cycle and the door remains locked --we cannot open it. What's up?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So error "Lo" means that your lock motor has failed. There is really no way to fix the issue other than to replace the door lock assembly behind the front panel of the washer. Now depending on the model washer you have will determine how you need to manually unlock the door, but most of these Samsung units you need to pull the washer out, remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel, and the top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Then you need to unplug the washer. Next use a stick or something to push the plastic tab hanging from the bottom of the latch to pull the tab down to manually release the door.

Once you actually get your door open, you can replace the latch. It's actually a fairly easy part to replace if you're handy. You'll need to unplug the washer and open the door to start with. Then there is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off. From there you can pull the gasket back out of the way. Remove the screws going into the door latch from the front and reach behind to replace the door latch assembly.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!