Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

i have an kitcheaid under counter ice maker model KUIA15NRHS9.

i have an kitcheaid under counter ice maker model KUIA15NRHS9. the cleaning light stays on and the icemaker is making ice but it is soft and cloudy and not hard and clear. i have replaced the bin thremistor, any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So first, is the clean light flashing or is it solid? Next, have you run the icemaker through a clean cycle with cleaning solution yet?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes it is on solid not flashing and yes I have run the cleasning cycle

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
OK so you replaced the bin thermistor correct? Not the evaporator thermistor. The bin thermistor is the one mounted to the side wall inside the ice container cavity.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, i replaced the bin thermistor on the right hand side of the wall. i have not replaced the evaporator thermistor

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
OK well that thermistor definitely wouldn't cause the issue. The bin thermistor only stops the icemaker from running at all if it thinks it's full of water. You can test to see if the evaporator thermistor is a problem by just unplugging it and running it without the thermistor plugged in. That will cause the icemaker to go through a default time cycle of about 35 minutes.

Now if that seems to fix the problem, you can leave the evaporator thermistor unplugged or replace it, it's up to you.

If that doesn't solve the issue you need to remove the lower front panel and clean the coils if they are packed with dust and lint. And if everything gets clean make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. At this point, that's all you can do. If you continue having problems then you need to call a technician because you have a sealed system problem and that's not something you can fix yourself.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX evaporator thermistor connection on the right hand side of the wall towards the back of the icemaker where the bin thermistor connection was?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
That is correct, it plugs in right next to where the bin thermistor plugs into in the upper right corner.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.