Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Hi, Saw you helped someone with a similar problem so here

Saw you helped someone with a similar problem so here is mine: My microwave just stopped working. It is 20 years old. It is a whirpool over the range recirculating microwave model # XXXXX Any suggestions or is it just worn out?
Thank you Shannon
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Is it totally dead or what exactly is it doing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is doing nothing. it made about a 3 second crackle noise then the lights went out and it stopped running

Okay, and now the display is dead? Did you notice an electrical smell during the crackling or after?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the display is dead and no smell

Okay, the crackling sound has me concerned and the fuse was blown. I suspect it was a high current drawing failure of a high voltage component. The high voltage components are not ones you want to mess with and at 20 years old, calling for service is not an economical solution. Repair will run more than a new microwave, even just with the parts, then you add service on that. I would replace the microwave.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

another quick question. I thought it would need replacing. Do you know if this model is 1.6 or 1.7 cubic

Let me check, please give me just a few minutes.
The original spec sheet is no longer available but reference is made to it being 1.6 cu ft.