Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a kenmore elite dishwasher which is not running a complete

Customer Question

I have a kenmore elite dishwasher which is not running a complete cycle. It fills the bottom with water and then stops. The completed light blinks six times in succession and then after a pause blinks once.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Can you hear the motor attempting to start, humming or buzzing? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first time it stopped about give minutes into the cycle. That time I opened the door and found water in the bottom of the dishwasher. I hit the drain/ cancel button and got it to empty. I then re started the cycle, heard it begin and went to bed. When I woke I found it had stopped before the end likely at the same time for there was water at the botXXXXX XXXXXke before. This time I have been unable to get the dishwasher to drain.
The model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what happens when you press the cancel button?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it blinks a bunch of times and then nothing.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Let's try something... Cut the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while "massaging" firmly over the buttons several times each. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same thing occurs.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what light is flashing and how many flashes between pauses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The orange "Completed" light flashes six times in a row, then a pause, then once, then pause, then repeats.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That error code, 6-1, means that the motor or the main dishwasher control has failed. Let's see if it will reset. Press the following buttons within 6 seconds and once the lights all come on, count to ten and press cancel. Then, start a cycle and see if the main motor will come on. Let me know what happens, please.

Heated Dry➙Normal➙Heated Dry➙Normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Control panel reset. I tried to start a new cycle but after 30 seconds it went back to the 6-1 error code. I reset it again and set it to drain since there was still water in the bottom. It drained fine. I then selected normal wash and tried to start it but it again went to the 6-1 error code.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, did the motor try to start that you could tell, any humming or buzzing, followed by a click?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not hear any humming or buzzing but there were come faint clicks like a relay clicking on and off.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so it is likely that the main control is faulty. This is a pretty common failure but one that is easily repaired. The main control is in the door and is accessed by removing the screws from around the inner panel and separating the doors. The control simply unplugs and plugs in, making for a pretty easy repair. The correct control for your model is pictured and available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Control <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I replaced the part. It ran farther than before into the cycle but has stopped once again. The completed light now blinks twice in succession.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
How many flashes in between pauses now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

two

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Although, now it just shuts off and there are no error codes.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Do they flash fast 2 times then pause, or flash, pause, flash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes.

Out of curiosity I put the old control board back in. It went back to doing the six blinks break one blink break six blinks again.

I am going to put the new one back in and make sure everything is tight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Put new part back in. Now it has gone back to the 6-1 error code.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Something is damaging the board, the new code means the K2 relay has welded contacts. Did the motor run when you put the new board in, the motor that does the washing? Did it sound funny?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I first put the new board in it went about five minutes into the cycle before stopping. When things were running it sounded normal but it is a pretty quiet dishwasher. That is when it gave the 2-1 code. After that I was able to get it to drain the water out but that was all.

Now I am only getting the 6-1 code.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I believe the main wash motor may be faulty and damaging the control board. How old is this machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure. I am guessing at least five years. We bought the home this past summer and the dishwasher came with it.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
At this point, considering the cost of the control and motor, you may want to return the control for a refund and replace the dishwasher.