joeyt56
joeyt56, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I'm an Appliance Technician that is factory trained with 5+ years of experience.
71793410

I have a GE TPX21PRXD BB. The ice maker has not been working

Customer Question

I have a GE TPX21PRXD BB. The ice maker has not been working for a while. I have replaced the dual water inlet valve and while I had the water disconnected, I was able to blow through the pipe going to the ice maker to confirm that it wasn't frozen. Water works fine to the door water dispenser, but water does not fill the ice tray. If I pour water into the ice tray, it freezes and dumps. I went ahead and replaced the entire ice maker unit as well but still no water. What am I missing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  joeyt56 replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is Joe and Ill be helping you today.

To test to make sure the valve to the ice maker is working go to the valve and swap the harnesses. By attaching the water dispenser harness to the ice valve you can now press the dispenser button and if the ice side of the valve is working it will fill the icemaker.

If the icemaker fills then for some reason the ice harness isn't being energized. Normally I would now replace the icemaker but you have already done this. Inspect the harness as far back as you can go making sure there are no breaks.

If it does not fill then I would have to say that you may have received a bad valve and should replace it again. I'm don't know where you purchased yours or if there is a return policy or not, but I would recommend ordering by clicking here they allow returns on all parts up to a year later even if they have been installed.

Let me know what you find!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I think I'm good now..... I let the new ice maker sit for most of the day and it never filled with water..... This new ice maker does have the holes in the front to test the motor so I made a jumper and ran it through a couple of cycles. After it ran through a couple of cycles, I heard a click and water filled the basin! I'm hoping to wake in the morning to a bucket full of ice. :)

Thanks for the information. I now know more than I ever wanted to know about ice makers & water inlet valves. LOL

Expert:  joeyt56 replied 9 months ago.
Ok great hope it all works out for you!