Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

BOSCH HMB5050/01 built-in microwave mfr Oct 2008, owned since

BOSCH HMB5050/01 built-in microwave mfr Oct 2008, owned since 2009, won't heat, shuts down in 25 seconds all of a sudden now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the microwave won't currently heat at all and the microwave "shuts down" in 25 seconds. Can you explain what you mean by "shuts down"? Does the display completely go blank like all power has been lost? Does the display revert back to the time of day? Does an error message appear on the screen?

Also, does the microwave still sound and act like it's working even though nothing gets warm?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It is acting completely normal, display normal, sound normal. When I press the amount of time, it begins, but stops (like times out) after 25 seconds counts down and food and dish surface is cold like it is not heating.

Ok so this is quite a common problem which can be caused by many issues, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove the control panel. This will give you access to the door switches to the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up .

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.