Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

A month ago I replaced the control board and drain pump in

A month ago I replaced the control board and drain pump in my Frigidaire GLTF2940FS1 front loading washer. When the machine had stopped mid-cycle there was a definite burning smell.

Now, if I run two or three consecutive loads, the washer emits another smell. It does not smell like burning rubber. It reminds me of Merthiolate, a dark brown liquid antiseptic that folks had in their first aid cabinets 50 years ago.

Any ideas what could be going on? Could the new drain pump motor be getting overheated? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It's really hard to know what might be causing the smell without locating exactly where the smell is coming from. The two most likely spots would be the drain pump or the main rear drum bearing. But if the smell is potent, you could easily just remove the part or remove the back panel and put your nose up to the main bearing or the drain pump and see if the smell is coming from these locations. If so, then you could have a drain pump overheating or the main rear drum bearing overheating from the spin cycles which would mean you'd need to replace the entire rear outer tub.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The odor's dissipated now so I'll pop panels off next time it occurs and see if I can locate the source. I took a quick look at replacement rear outer tubs and they cost $200+ so I'd want to be sure that's the problem before proceeding.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Aye, that's correct. And honestly if the smell only comes after running several cycles in a row, I'm not sure it's anything that needs to be fixed immediately.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

That's good to know. If the problem were definitely electrical I'd take immediate corrective action because of fire risk. A mechanical problem is more wait and see, or wait and smell.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
That sounds like a plan.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.