Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

You were helping my girlfriend (Susan Todd)fix her gas range.

Customer Question

You were helping my girlfriend (Susan Todd)fix her gas range. We need additional help, can you help us?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Since I don't see a record of this problem and it's back from May 31st, what seems to be the problem exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The circuit breaker tripped and the oven stopped working the oven lights stay on and will not turn off. I reset the circuit breaker and the oven came on for 20-30 seconds then turns off. It will not turn back on unless I reset the oven again with the circuit breaker.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
And has this been the problem you've had since you replaced the display board? Because from reading you previous what have you tried info, it sounds like you had an issue with the unit sticking on preheat all the time and the only way to reset it was to unplug the oven. So I'm assuming that at this point you have replaced the display board. Did it ever work normally after you replaced the display board?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK so the only thing that can really cause this problem is one of the 2 control boards including the program manager or the display control board itself if the breaker isn't tripping and the oven is still getting power even though the display goes out. Now if the display board is less than 30 days old, you should be able to return it and warranty the part in case it came defective. If not, then it sounds like you have a bad program manager which is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand costs about $250 or so.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The breaker only tripped one time and that was during a storm, that was when the oven stopped working. The oven doesn't trip the breaker, I am using the breaker to reset the over because it would be too much work to unplug it. The gas oven with not turn on at all unless it is unplug first and then plugged back in, but it only stays lit for 20-30 seconds then turns off, the oven lights stay on and can not be turned off (is that an error code of some sort?). Only the gas oven is affected, the electric warmer and dehydrate function work fine as well as everything else on the display. How do I enter diagnostic mode on the touch screen to check the error codes?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The oven lights staying on is not an error code, but that would point to your program manager having a stuck relay sending power to the lights all the time when it shouldn't. All error codes would appear on the screen right now if there was an error code. You don't have to bring them up---they automatically show up and unfortunately you're not getting an error code.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you recommend we replace the Control Manager PCB? Where can I order this part and do you have installation instructions?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately there really aren't instructions for this process, but yes if you have replaced the display board, I recommend warrantying out the display board first and replacing the display board first since the issue is different and you may have gotten a bad display board. If the problem persists then I would replace the program manager which is replaced through the front or the top. You can technically replace the board by just removing the control panel like you're replacing the display board. Then it's a tight area to work in but you can see the program manager mounted under the cooktop. If you need more room, all the screws going into the burner bases will need to be removed and the entire cooktop taken off so that you can access from the top down to replace the program manager.