Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I ahve a maytag dishwasher model # XXXXX the lifter arm

I ahve a maytag dishwasher model # XXXXX the lifter arm needed to be replaced,but the issue is it would fill with water not wash and immediately drain. w/o having the filter, etc in place it will go into the wash cycle,but seems to be emptying at the same time. I need to knoiw the exact placement of the lifter. Is it to be flat on the bottom of the drum with the long arm facing the door? and what would make the dishwasher skip the wash cycle?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So let me explain how this dishwasher works so you can understand why it's draining. The only difference between washing and filling is that there is a solenoid that is energized to lift up a flap down inside the sump which re-directs the water out the drain as opposed to recirculating the water. Part 5 in the diagram below is the solenoid that should only get power to activate when the dishwasher is draining, not washing. If it's getting power when washing, you'd need to replace the timer control up inside the control panel. If it's not getting power but it's draining, something is broken and not closing the flap inside the sump properly. Part 6, 2, 23, 35, 34, or 20 could all be culprits. Either way, below is the diagram.

graphic

Also, below is a picture that I hope helps you understand how the lifter should be installed.

graphic

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Does the lifter arm go over or under the spring lever? and why when I replace the filter drum does it not engage the wash cycle

It goes under the spring lever.

And it's not engaging in the wash cycle because you don't have the flap situated properly---possibly because the lifter arm is not installed correctly. The flap is diverting the water to the drain when you put everything back together with the filter and such, so until you get the flap working properly, it will always drain and never wash.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The lifter has a d shape and only goes on the shaft one way, so does the spring arm hold it from flipping the opposite direction?

Yes, the spring arm should hold the lifter from flipping the other direction so that when you pull down on the soleniod below the motor (part 5 on that diagram before) it will have tension from the spring wanting to push against the lifter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I did not go under the drum area at all, I just turned the lifter rod in order to pplace the new lifter on it, so does this mean something was or is wrong with the solenoid?

I couldn't answer that without checking for myself. But you can go under the tub now and push down on the solenoid piston to make sure it's actuating the flap properly inside.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok I will gaive that a try, hoefully that works and thanks for your answers, the guy a day ago had no answers for me except to send me pics of the same thing i have in the manual. You will get a great review and tip

Not a problem at all and I wish you only the best.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have an issue with the selonoid piston and the arm. When I get the lifter in place the arm will not go into the arm hole the selonoid arm or i can not get the piston to fit into the hole of the selonoid.

It sounds like you don't have the lifter in the correct place because the piston should remain inside the solenoid hole at all times.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

when I put the ppiston in place and hook up the arm the piston bottoms out and I can not get the lifter into the correct spot. and when I try to move the lever under neath the liffter pops off the spring arm

Without being there I really can't see what you are talking about but it sounds like you don't have the lifter installed correctly.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can turn the lifter clockwise to hook under the spring arm, but the spring arm is in the up position, then when I go to hook the piston arm into the hole the lifter moves and comes out from under the spring arm

Again, I would need to see anything you're talking about. You may need a technician there if you can't work around and figure out how it's all put together. I've tried to give you as much guidence as I possibly can without being there. There are only so many possibilities and as I said, the piston needs to stay in the solenoid all the time which should help you understand what is possible and not possible as far as positioning the lifter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok

good luck
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

does it hook anywhere on the bottom of the solenoid bracket? i am talking about the return spring

I really have no idea what you're trying to ask or say, I really think you need a technician out there if the diagrams that I or the previous expert aren't enough to help you determine how the unit goes back together. I have 2 more diagrams I can give you but if they don't help you, then you need to call a technician because I can do no more over the internet.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Alright, good luck to you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

All together now ran cycle- what makes a dishwasher empty before wash cycle? the Float?

Nothing makes the dishwasher empty before the wash cycle. That flap which the lever is attached to is what makes the dishwasher empty before it's washes because it's trying to wash but the flap isn't directing the water to recirculate and instead the flap is forcing the water out the drain when the motor runs.

The float switch will only stop power to the water valve if the water level gets to the correct level before the timed fill cycle times out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Now that you said that, I fiqured out that the return spring was not tight enough to bring the lever all the way back into pplace. I am now up amd running, would like to thank you again for all your help however frustrating it may have been for you. Is there a way I can go back and give you a bigger tip?

That's quite alright, I wouldn't worry about it but I'm very glad it's all up and running again.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc