Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an GE refrigirator, model gbs20hbsww. Last week we

I have an GE refrigirator, model gbs20hbsww. Last week we started hearing a clicking noise coming from the back of the unit. It sounded like a relay kicking in. When I checked everything, we noticed the freezer was not working. There was dust built up around the fan area, so I cleared it with some canned air and everytyhing seemed to have resolved itself. I come home this morning from work and find that the entire unit is not cooling or freezing and the fan doesn't seem to be blowing. Any ideas?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you tell me how quickly the clicking was occurring? Did it happen every second or so? Or was it happening once every minute or two?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The clicking happens every minute or two.

OK perfect, so that makes a lot of sense with your current problem then. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The relay feels to hot to touch right now, so I am letting it cool. What is the best way to remove it without damaging it?

The relay may have a plastic cover over top of it, I can't see it to know for sure, but if so remove the plastic cover so that you can see the parts that the wires connect to. To remove the actually overload relay, just unplug the refrigerator and then slide a flat head screwdriver behind the overload relay and pry out while pulling on the relay to pop the relay off of the compressor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The relay doesn't rattle, so it looks like it might be the compressor. I noticed some corrosion on one of the pipes leading to the compressor. Time to call a technician I guess. Frown Thank you for the help.

Not a problem and I'm really sorry about the bad news but I do wish you only the best. If you wanted, you can replace the overload relay first just to be certain it's not the problem since there is no definitely way of testing the relay, but if it's not rattling most likely it's not bad.