Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GE profile dishwasher door locked cant open...help

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The handle/latch assembly is a mechanical one, so does it feel broken, like it is not releasing the latch when depressed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried restart,let it activate wash cycle for a few minutes, thinking I could open during cycle, which I have done before, still will not open.

Do not feel any latch "unlock" or hear "suction" sound when about to open...Thank you in advance, Mary McCoy

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Does the handle feel differently than is has in the past? When you push up on the handle, it should release the door latch. Does it feel like it is just pushing in without moving anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, exactly

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
So what has happened is the plastic pin on one side, or maybe even both, of the actuator that releases the latch has broken. When you press the handle up, that in turn presses on the actuator (pictured below) and releases the latch. You may be able to work a very small screwdriver or even a metal coat hanger up beyond the handle to release the latch but it will not be easy. Be sure to turn the breaker off because the door switches are right there and are live. Once you manage to get the door open, you can remove all of the screws from around the inner door to separate the panels, allowing access to the handle components.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!