Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Have Maytag Newton washer, with burning rubber smell during

Have Maytag Newton washer, with burning rubber smell during spin. Replaced belts and motor slides/spring. Still had burning rubber smell.
Motor works, can spin the pump and center shaft pulleys underneath, but drum is very hard to move by hand.
What's next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Does the machine spin during the spin cycle? If you look directly at the bottom of the tub, right where the transmission shaft goes in, is there signs of leakage there or around the inside of the cabinet?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

appears that bottom pulley is rotating, but tub not spinning.

could not see any leakage, also, could not pin point where the burning rubber smell is coming from.

nothing is hot or warm after starting the spin cycle, even on the any of the pulleys.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
So the bottom pulley in the center will turn in both directions but the tub is not spinning, no matter which way the pulley is turned?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

correct, I can move the bottom pulley in both directions, with out much effort. when running looking from the side, it appears that pulley is spinning.

Take a couple of minutes, then notice burning rubber smell

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thank you! If you look closely at the motor pulley, can you see any damage or see where it is not all one piece? Is the motor pulley secured to the motor shaft?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No damage, I did pull the pulley to replace the motor slides.

the shaft has a flat for the pulley, so when I replaced the pulley, I made sure it was aligned and secured tightly.

Is there anything else that gives a burning rubber smell?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Are the belts adjusted tight enough? The motor should move when the center of the pump belt is pinched and about a finger's width between it. If you pinch that belt right in the center, does the motor move before the belt touches itself?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Checked belts, motor slide freely when belts are pinched.

Also, belt on pump is adjusted to about 1/2 inch of touching when pinched.

Just also tried turning the center pulley. It turns very easy in both directions at first. Continues to turn freely in counter clockwise direction, but after a couple of rotations is the clockwise direction, it "catches" and is very difficult to turn.

Only see the transmission moving on the hard to move clockwise direction. No movement in counter clockwise direction.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, so the transmission does turn? If you put it on a spin cycle, does the transmission turn and get up to speed?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

really hard to turn by hand, when started up in spin cycle, motor is driving belt, but the transmission is not turning

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, so the issue lies within the tub assembly. There may be something caught between the tubs that is making it difficult for the tub to run. Or, the center bearing/stem kit may be failing. However, that usually seizes the tub totally and is followed by leakage. I would remove the top tub ring (number 5) and look for any clothes that may be caught in between the tubs. If nothing is found, you will need to remove the inner tub and get a look underneath it.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Nothing between baskets.

with the inner basket out, I tried turning the transmission manually. It turn very hard in both directions. However, a couple of time in the clockwise rotation, it was like something "let loose" and it moved freely for about a 1/4 turn, then became hard to turn again.

Is the brake sticking, or the transmission bad?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
How does the center stem kit look? Does it appear to be rusted at all?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So, looked for any rust - none.

I tried turning the transmission/shaft again, it was really hard to start moving, then it started turning.

Reached under and pulled the belt in both directions, they spun the pulley with no effort. Tried the shaft again, it was really difficult. Tried the belts again, real easy. So I plugged it in, and started the spin without the inner basket. Spins fine with no rubber smell.

Does that mean the brake was stuck? If so, should I replace it?

Also, the cork on the top of the tube seal has lifted at one corner, but appears to be fine. Does that have to be replaced? Is it there for a bearing surface? Does not seem to do anything else.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
The cork is fine, the tub just sits on it. I do suspect the brake may have been unable to release and will probably need to be replaced. If it fails again, the brake assembly is available below. It takes a special wrench to remove that brake assembly and it is also below.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Brake Assembly <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Brake Removal Tool <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!