Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have jennair cve3400w trying to replace dual surface element

I have jennair cve3400w trying to replace dual surface element with new 12002125. There two sets of double wires black and red no idea what to do with them. Please help.

Tyler Z. :

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Tyler Z. :

I'm looking up your wiring diagram now so just give me one second please

Tyler Z. :

OK so Orange goes to S2 you are correct on that. Violet goes to 4a you are also correct on that. Blue goes to 4 which is also correct

Tyler Z. :

The double red should go to P1

Tyler Z. :

Double black goes to P2

Tyler Z. :

I'm not sure if you can get into this chat since I haven't seen you pop in so I'm going to swap this to question and answer format

The double red should go to P1

Double black goes to P2

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You, Tyler!

I can check this only later this evening I am at work right now. Is it ok if I contact later this evening?

yes of course. If you need anything else, just let me know. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tyler I just installed ...and triped circut braker. Now is double black is covered with smog

So I have a feeling that the schematic that I'm looking at on your unit is wrong because it doesn't make a lot of sense due to the color wires. P2 is supposed to be L2 which is normally RED, but on your schematic for the oven it states that it's black. P1 is supposed to be L1 which is normally BLACK, but again on your schematic it states that it should be red. It sounds like the schematic is just incorrect because on every other oven RED is L2 (thus should be connected to P2) and black is L1 (thus should be connected to P1). I would warranty out the switch and just get a new switch and wire it it with Red to P2 and Black to P1 because This schematic I'm looking at for your oven has got to be wrong.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just switched places dbl blk on p1 and dblred on p2 and triped braker again

That is likely because the switch is bad however because the Orange Blue and Violet wires are all definitely correct.

Also, the switch comes with a little 4" long jumper wire. You did connect that jumper wire from P1 to S1 correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I didn't. They saying to cut one of the red. Give me one more advice about jumper and what to do with red

The red wire from the right front burner goes to terminal 2. The jumper wire connects from P1 to S1
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Double red wire comes one from power source and other from left front switch

I'm not sure what to say because the instruction sheet for the switch states to put the RF (right front) red wire on the terminal 2. I'm not sure if they just mis-labeled it or what. Either way, this wire wouldn't cause the oven to trip the circuit breaker. It would only stop it from heating, same with the jumper wire. That is why I think you need a new switch before worry about the jumper wire and the wire that should go to terminal 2. The switch sounds like it went bad.