Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Kenmore Elite HE4T washer, wont drain and we get an F2 error

Customer Question

Kenmore Elite HE4T washer, won't drain and we get an F2 error and eventually it goes to suds error. We've been using All 3 times mighty soap, not exceeding what it says for 5 years no problems until a month ago. Yesterday we checked the trap and cleaned all hoses with a knotted rope (got a lot of gunk out). Still won't drain. The drain pump motor (I have it out) seems to be spring loaded when I spin it. I think that is right. What should we do.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXX, X will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me a minute to pull this model up please.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Ok I'm waiting here.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Thanks John.

The meaning of the error code and the corrective actions as you probably know are listed below.

F2 - Long Drain

Long Drain If the drain time exceeds 8 minutes, the water valves are turned off and F02 is flashed.

Press PAUSE/CANCEL twice to clear the display.

NOTE: After 4 minutes the “Sud” error will be displayed, then 4 minutes later the F02 error code will be displayed.

Potential Causes

• Check the drain hose and make sure it is not plugged or kinked
• Check the electrical connections at the pump and make sure the pump is running.
• Check the drain filter for foreign objects
• If the above does not correct the problem replace the pump

If you have already checked the drain system and the drain filter then the pump will need to be replaced. Either the impeller was damaged or the motor is bad.

You can check this by pulling the wire harness off the drain pump, hook up a volt meter, then set the machine to drain/spin. If as I suspect you get a reading of 120v before the error code hits again your drain pump is bad.

If you can give me the model number from the sticker around the door I can look up the part number for you :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, If I provide you with a answer this just means with the symptoms you have supplied me I am letting you know from experience where the problem is, this does not mean however that we have finished, If you have any additional questions please reply.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I'll go get the number off the washer.

I've checked and cleaned all parts of the drain system.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Ok then the pump will be the problem. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

The number is XXX.XXXX.XXXX and CST3909374

The washer is flashing 12 minutes. We disconnect power for a few minutes and it's still there. It won't start, it won't go away, how do I get it to go away and start the washer again.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Is the washer full of water?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
What you would need to do is pull the power cord, drain the washer through the drain filter. Pull the wire harness off the pump then hook up a volt meter to the wire harness. Plug the unit back in and set the washer to a rinse/spin cycle, let the washer fill then move the dial to a drain/spin cycle, at this point the machine should send voltage to the pump before going into a error mode, if you see voltage then the pump is bad.

To order your replacement part>>>>> CLICK HERE <<<<< To order your replacement part.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No we've drained the water out, but the numbers are still flashing on the display. I'm not ordering a part on line we live in Alaska. I'll pick one up in Fairbanks. What's the part number.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Ok well you can bet it's the pump.

Wow always wanted to go to Alaska, the part number is
280187

Thanks John.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Ok it will take me a couple of days to get the pump, Fairbanks is 500 miles away. I'll let you know if it doesn't help.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
It will fix the problem so long as you have cleared the drain system., Thanks John.

Thanks!

Mike.