Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

have a 10 year old kenmore side by side. starting making loud

Customer Question

have a 10 year old kenmore side by side. starting making loud fan type noise - think maybe when the ice maker filling but not really sure. Doesn't stop when I lift the ice maker lever. Pull the frig out and the vibration noise is coming from the mid heigth near the right - looking from the back. Model number253.53719301
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX you for choosing Just Answer, It is my pleasure to assist you today. Good evening , Can you open the freezer door and look at the back panel to see if theres any frost on it ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No frost at all. noise started last night - eventually stopped after lifted ice maker lever . not sure this is related - had suspected the water valve but as I noted the noise/vibration is not coming from the bottom of the refrigerator where I believe the water valve/solenoid is.

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.

okay since you lifted the arm on the ice maker it stopped and hasn't come back ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So far - no more noise. The noise is really loud when it happens - like a fan with a bad bearing -but it starts suddenly. I am thinking it may be realated to the ice maker water fill because when I was moving the refirgerator out to check the location of the noise and subsequently opened the freezer, there was water dripping from the fill area indicating that it had just refilled? Note the automatic ice dispenser in the door stopped working a year ago or so - we just open the freezer and retrieve ice from the bucket

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.

Okay then if the noise goes away with the ice maker off its the ice maker. Inside there are gears, The main gear is most likely stripped. this does happen but before replacing the ice maker remove it and see if the fingers are jammed with ice . could be a cube stuck in it. if not replace the ice maker. The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Ice maker. click that blue link to order.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

okay as I said the noise seems to stop when i lift the IM lever but when I pulled the refirigerator out, the noise and vibration was distinctly coming from an area not really close to the ice maker - the location was roughly 3 feet off the ground and all the way to the rigth as viewed from the back of the unit. Also the noise is much louder with the freezer door open than the refrigerator - but again does not seem to be coming from the ice maker itself. I really don't have time to take everything apart tonight - was hoping to get some idea of a possible part to replace - and order/pick up prior to taking everything apart :) Am I right in thinking the water valve/solenoid would be toward the bottom of the unit?

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay well theres only one other thing in the freezer it that position and that's the evaporator fan. Evaporator Fan Motor(NNN) NNN-NNNN     Main Product View its just about exactly 3 feet up from the floor so that has to be the issue, here that link and theres a video there to show you how to replace it. evaporator fan theres really nothing else that would make that noise.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK - I was really thinking the ice maker was coincidental. We have a couple pretty good appliance parts places here in Charleston I'll check with to see if I can get it locally - if not the link you sent looks great and a pretty simple repair. Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
your very welcome. Sorry for the confusion but when you said it stopped with the ice maker off at first it threw me . those fans fail all the time. I'm sure that's it now, have a great night ! thanks, Bryan