Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

KitchenAid wall oven model#kebs107sss02 display not working. After

Customer Question

KitchenAid wall oven model#kebs107sss02 display not working.
After a recent power surge my oven went dead.
So far I replaced the control power transformer as it had 110v on its input with no doc output on any leads. Now the oven can be turned on with the front panel, but the display is still dead.
How can I diagnose the user interface board being bad vs the appliance manager?
I have verified continuity on the harness between the two.
What typ of voltages should I be seeing output on the harness? It's 4 wire bu/y/or/br.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks -Dan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 11 months ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized KitchenAid and Whirlpool service tech and I can help you today.

Customer: Hi jon
Jon :

so it is just the display that is not working at this point, right?

Customer: Yes ...oven powers on, and you can hit bake....400...start and it heats up.
Jon :

ok good.

Jon :

the best and most accurate way to diagnose the interface rather then the manager board is to power the machine off for two minutes. disconnect the ribbon cable and connectors to the display interface and power the unit back on. If the machine gives you an error right away or beeps as soon as you plug it in then you will need the interface board.

Jon :

If it doesnt give you an error until you actually try to set a program then hit start it is the manager baord.

Jon :

It will usually be the interface board if just the display goes out.

Jon :

The manager board is just a secondary board that will control other features to the oven.

Customer: Problem is I can't tell if I get an error because the display absolutely has no output.
Jon :

And usually with a power surge you will find the main board failing or shorting out first then the interface board since they are on the same circuit.

Customer: Also tough to tell if it beeps... The breaker panel is in the basement
Jon :

yes. I know it will be hard to tell or see if there is a display, but you should hear the beeping. The audible alarma should sound with the error.

Jon :

Do you have anyone that can kill the power while you wait by the machine?

Jon :

that might help for you to tell if the machine beeps as you plug it in or flip power back on.

Customer: Yeah....actually the unit is out of the wall with the top panel off, and the interface board removed.
Customer: it will take a while to pop it all back together prior to turning the breaker on.
Jon :

oh. ok wait a minute before you do so.

Jon :

take the interface board out and smell it, does it smell like it is burnt?

Jon :

or do you see any smolder or burn marks?

Customer: Not at all...it looks perfect.
Jon :

Or do any wires look burnt?

Jon :

ok and no smell?

Jon :

It wont always burn or smell burnt. sometimes the board will look and smell fine but still will be bad.

Customer: I checked continuity on the ribbon cable between the keypad and interface board.
Jon :

You cant check the board with continuity.

Customer: also the 4 wire connector back to the manager board
Customer: Just the ribbon cable.
Jon :

continuity will only show a path or current flow. it doesnt show that during operation it has full voltage.

Customer: right understood.
Jon :

There is actually no definitive way to check the interface. it is a matter of process of elimination. unfortunately.

Customer: Oh man.. Bummer.
Jon :

Run the test i told you and that will give you the answer you need. And like i said above, when you have a power surge and it takes out the main board, usually the interface is the cause for a non display.

Jon :

that is the only board that controls the display

Jon :

I know it is definitely a huge bummer. but what are you going to do?

Jon :

it happens, dont kick yourself.

Customer: Is there any voltage that should be on the p6 connector of the manager board? P1p2 p4 p5?
Jon :

at least you are able to fix this machine yourself and save some money ont he repairs.

Jon :

I can also tell you where to get the board cheaply and have it shipped directly to you quickly. then you can install it and save some money .

Customer: Oh no doubt manger board is about 1/2 the cost of the interface though! Ha ha
Jon :

let me check the wiring diagram and flow charts. be right back.

Customer: thanks
Jon :

yes, i know it is always the most expensive baords that go first. that is why they price them that high in the first place. because they know the most common parts to fail will be used up first. and they make them more expensive.

Jon :

you got it. be right back.

Jon :

Nothing on p6 until in self clean mode. you should have 120v to p1 and p2 then p1 to p3

Customer: Lost my kitchenaid microwave as well...haven't started to even try diagnosing that one. Everyone scares me with capacitor shocking stories. Lost my whirlpool washing machine, and had to put in a control board. Oh treadmill, and 2 gfi outlets as we'll!
Customer: Ok great I' put the boards back in place and test for voltage....gonna take a few mins though
Jon :

oh boy. you got hit hard.

Jon :

sorry.

Jon :

ok. please test ill be here.

Customer: yeah...electrician thought maybe a lightning strike.
Jon :

i will get part info for you.

Customer: oh fridgidaire refrigerator as we'll! Forgot about that one
Jon :

I would put this into your insurance and put a claim in so you can get some money back at least. we this sort of thing all the time in long island, new york.

Jon :

power surges and lightning strikes happen all the time. Then of course last year with hurricane sandy. had a lot of insurance claims for that as well.

Jon :

I am sure when all adds up, to replace the parts for your micro, wall oven, ref. and wash and other appliances, it is in the thousands. If you put a claim in you make some money.

Jon :

just saying.

Jon :

part number for the user interface is W10312207 and should cost about $285.

Customer: Yeah...I have a claim stated....this happened back in July. Believe that. I just got tired of not having an oven. The washer and treadmill were repaired.
Jon :

oh. ok. good.

Customer: Ok thanks ready to power on now....what beeps should my wife listen for?
Jon :

if it beeps you will know it.

Customer: Ok power back on...no beeps just a few clicks.
Customer: Voltage from p1 to p2 is 5v p1 to p3 is 12v.
Jon :

ok. nothing on the display?

Customer: not a thing
Jon :

and what board did you replace?

Jon :

what is the part number of the control transformer you said you replaced?

Customer: I was checking with my voltmeter across this leads should I check them to ground?
Jon :

no, you should be testing to the terminal with the connectors connected. best and most accurate way to test. but if you havent replaced the main control board yet, or checked the high limit switch I would replace those.

Customer: No board replacement just the transformer. W10111628
Jon :

oh. ok. then that is why there is no voltage.

Jon :

and this machine has a thermal fuse as well. did you check that for continuity?

Jon :

it should be just behind the lock.

Customer: Yes I think...is that the ceramic resistor looking thing.?
Jon :

if that has blown out with the power surge then there will be no power to the display or to the board.

Jon :

it is a roundish thermostat that has two wires going to it. if you pull the wires off of it, with power off to the machine, and you dont have continuity then it is bad and is the whole problem,.

Jon :

if you have checked it and it does have continuity then the main control board needs to be replaced.

Customer: ok now you got me...I can't find the thermostat.
Jon :

did you say that you have the top of the oven off?

Customer: yes
Jon :

if so it is under that.

Jon :

just by the door lock

Jon :

if you dont see it there. sometimes it is located on the back of the unit. on the back access panel. but for this model i am almost certain it is by the door lock.

Jon :

you said before that the machine will heat and go into a cycle, correct? if so then the thermostat, high limit fuse is ok. sorry. forgot you said that.

Jon :

if the thermostat was bad it wouldnt let the oven heat at all.

Jon :

nevermind, if you can heat the oven.

Customer: Yeah...I can't seem to find it around the latch.
Customer: It does still cycle on
Jon :

if you are getting the bake cycle to come on but no display. change the display board.

Jon :

ok. if it does cycle on and heat then the fuse is good.

Jon :

and again, if there is still no display change the display board. I listed the part number above.

Customer: Ok looks like I bite the display bullet.
Jon :

W10312207. and can be order from www.repairclinic.com

Jon :

yes. sorry.

Jon :

but dont kick yourself. it happens

Jon :

just order the board and you will be ok.

Jon :

please get back to me here if you need anything else.

Jon :

if you feel that i have helped you and helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance below with ok service or better rating.

Customer: Ok...the part number I show is w10118733 though.
Customer: oh the oven won't turn off now btw.
Jon :

and if you have any other questions after rating me positively just get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Customer: awesome
Jon :

yeah. that happens sometimes. just power it off at the circuit.

Jon :

The board that you need subs over to the part number i listed, W10312207

Jon :

it is the most updated board for your model oven.

Customer: ok cool thanks very much,,,
Jon :

you got it. that is what i am here for. glad i could help.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 11 months ago.
Dan,

Thank you again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Get back to me if you have any other questions and I will help you more.

Thanks again.