Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

LG DLEX8377 Electric Dryer. Air Dry works fine. Ducts cleaned.

Customer Question

LG DLEX8377 Electric Dryer. Air Dry works fine. Ducts cleaned. Turns on runs about 1-2 mins (yes, there is heat) and then stops then the whole machine shuts off. Have to wait for a while until able to turn the machine on again.

Had one service guy over and didn't open to check the heating elements. Said we need to replace the entire control panels $700-800.

Some online help sites said it could be the thermostat on the heating element or fuse. Some thinks it is the motor.

Any help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! It is interesting that the whole thing shuts totally off. So there are no lights or anything at all? If you try to start it right back up, does the control beep or anything at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing at all. No lights or anything. Once it shuts down, you can't even turn it on for a few hours. After that it turns on. Air/no heat works fine. It takes 3-4 mins to stop if on extreme low heat, and 1 min if on high heat. The explanation given by the service guy was that something was wrong with the control panel and it lets the heating element heat up too much so the safety thermostat shuts the machine off automatically. Therefore, the problem is with the control panels. It is an expensive dryer to replace but the repairs may not be worth it. Another service guy by phone suggested we clean the heating element before calling him again but I see no way of cleaning the element in the box.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Well, if a thermal fuse is opening, it would not shut the dryer off. All of the thermostats are after the control, the power comes into the control first. Also, an overheat condition would show on the display as an error code because this dryer uses electronic sensors. So, the overheated thermostats theory is out the window. The only thing that would cause the entire thing to shut down is an issue with the power to the unit or a control issue. It is quite common for the cord connections to be loose, causing an excessive current draw, which then stresses the components on the control or the main power supply connection. Unplug the dryer and remove the cover from where the cord is attached. Have a look at the connections where the cord is attached to the dryer. Are those connections shiny and in good shape or burnt and/or discolored?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
If you find the cord connections are shiny and tight, I would recommend replacing the main control, but at a substantially less cost than what you were quoted. The control is available below for $126.75 and is accessed by removing the panel at the top of the machine.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kelly, I checked the machine and it would not even turn on any more. I checked all the power connections and breaker in my panel. They seem to be ok.

What next?