Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore 80 series washer that is over ten years old.

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore 80 series washer that is over ten years old. I have an issue with it running thru the first rinse, then the spin, then the main dial turns and it goes thru the second rinse. I have to manually stop it when it starts the first rinse, turn the dial to the second rinse and it will finish. On my machine I also have a selector switch for one or two rinses. When this problem happens, it is set to one rinse. What I need to know, is the issue the one/two rinse selector or the main dial. The model number is XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if I understand you correctly, the washer is always going through the 2 rinse cycles and not just 1 is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Correct, and I thought you were not online? Yes, each and EVERY time we do wash, with the setting at one rinse it will still go into a second rinse unless you stop it with the main dial, turn it to "second" rinse on the main dial, push it back in to continue and then it finishes.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so the problem wouldn't be with the main timer, the problem is going to be with the rinse selection switch. The rinse selection switch is the part that continues to send power to the timer for it to continue counting down if it thinks you have the 2nd rinse selected. The timer can't continue counting down without the rinse selection switch sending it power.

Below is a link to the breakdown of your washer so you can order the correct switch.

CLICK HERE for parts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would have replaced that awhile ago, but wasn't sure which one was the problem. So, 100% sure it is the rinse selection switch right?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So you'd have to test to be 100% sure because the timer contact could be sticking causing it to continue advancing when it should be stopping, but I've never actually seen this be the case. If you wanted to test, there is a schematic (wiring diagram) inside the control panel folded up on a piece of paper that you would need to take a picture of and upload it hear so I can tell you which wires to test, but it sounded like you weren't that familiar with testing so I'm not sure the results would be concrete evidence that either part was definitely bad anyways.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, looking at the diagram provided. Could you tell me which part it is of the list on the right side of the page?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I can tell you what part number you need if you tell me how many knobs from the left of your control panel is the rinse selector switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Third from the left

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. So the part number you need is W10168257. And below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

LOL, of course it couldn't have been the 35 dollar one!!! Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that and i'm done. Thanks for your help again.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you're not in a rush you can actually order it from the link below and it's only $37---they just don't have it in stock.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

LOL, actually that was where I was going to go right after I got done with you! Thx

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. They also allow returns if you end up not needing the part which is why I usually suggest them if they have the part in stock.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FYI, finally got the part on the 26th. Installed it the next day with no problem. Yesterday, wife was doing a load of wash and I watched it to see if it went into a second rinse.......IT DID!!!!! The part DIDN'T work!!!!!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
hmm. Well, you'll want to return the part and order the timer for your washer then unfortunately. Below is a link to the part. Unfortunately it's much more expensive.

CLICK HERE for timer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not a wise decision to spend that kind of money on a ten+ year old washer, would you agree?