Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Turned on my dishwasher, after 2 minutes saw and smelled smoke.

Customer Question

Turned on my dishwasher, after 2 minutes saw and smelled smoke. Turned it off. Zero water inside. Took out both racks and turned it on again with same result. Made humming noise like it usually does. No water.

MAYTAG
Model MDB4000AWX
Serial 11310489SQ
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXX, X will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Do you see any indications of power on the control panel?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Where did you see the smoke coming from the base? or inside the dishwasher?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Inside the dishwasher

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Ok the only real thing that is electrical and that can cause this kind of smoke and smell is the heater, I would check to see if the heater is on or if it has shorted and been damaged. It could be that the heater relay on the control board has welded in the on position causing the heater to stay on.

I would check the heater for damage, if the heater is good then the control board is likely the culprit.

I would like to earn your highest rating, If I provide you with a answer this just means with the symptoms you have supplied me I am letting you know from experience where the problem is, this does not mean however that we have finished, If you have any additional questions please reply.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

What about the water intake valve

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
It could also be the valve, this is something i would check also, although I think the smoke would come from the base. The humming sound does seem to point toward the water valve.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

About how much are those valves, I'm sure they are different prices but just an idea. Is it worth replacing that to see?

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Yes absolutely.

To order your replacement part>>>>> CLICK HERE <<<<< To order your replacement part.

Thanks!

Mike.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Hi David,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I was thinking that the water valve didn't put water in and the heating elements inside were what caused the smoke. I'm going to work on it today.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
I apologize I am not at my PC right now, I will respond in the am, thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
What did you find David?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Nothing, I ordered the valve and am waiting for it to be delivered.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

This has nothing to do with this but I was wondering what a used washer and used dryer in perfect working order with few if any scratches goes for these days. I'm guessing $325.00 what would you say, higher, lower?

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Actually I just sold a used pair 2 year old washer and dryer for 375 so I guess around that amount, take a look on Craigslist, there are some great deals.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Well, I replaced the water valve and that didn't fix it. Everything appears normal except there is no water....now what should I do?

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
As mentioned in my previous post I would check the heater with a ohm meter, Also check it for visible damage, If the heater is good then the likely problem is the power relay for the heater has got stuck making it stay on through the entire wash, this would cause the smell, If this is the case the control board would need to be replaced.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

So if the heater is defective it would keep the water from coming in the washer????

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Well no, I don't see where you mentioned the water not coming in. The heater would not be responsible for this.

Check the float switch, this is the flood that is located at the front of the machine, the switch will be directly under the float, check the float is moving up and down, is also making contact with the switch, also check the switch with a ohm meter for operation, if the float is not moving it will need to be cleaned, If the float is good and the switch then your problem is going to relate to the control board.

One question, when you hit start button do you hear any noise coming from any of the pumps? are any lights blinking on the control panel?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

In my first paragraph I said "Zero water coming in". The float moves up and down. To check the switch, what do I do....pull the float up and off?

WHen I start the washer I hear the same things I have always heard.

Do blinking lights.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Sorry David, It's been a long time since this question was posted, yes I do see the original post now.

You would check the float moves up and down freely, If it does take the panel out from under the door, Right below where the float sits you will see the switch. If the float is not moving freely under the machine where the switch is you will need to remove a clip that holds the float in place, remove this then pull the float out, clean the debris around and under the float.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I know it has been awhile...I had to wait to get the part. The float and the float switch move freely.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Ok In this case if you have replaced the valve, the water is on the problem is going to be the control board.

I have to run out to a service call David, I will be about a hour, If you have any additional question I will respond when I return to my PC, Thanks!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Is replacing the control board do-able, is it costly?

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
It's a easy task to replace it, I will look up the part number and cost for you when I get back to my PC. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Ok this particular one has a timer rather then a control board, After looking up the part it looks like this is a common problem with the timer since they supply a kit to repair it.

Click here to order the replacement part

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I would really hate to buy this part and that not fix the problem. I know you aren't here to look at it but can you give me your best guess as to how certain you are that this is the problem.

Also, do you know where installation instructions might be found? Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
well if the machine is not filling, the valve is good, the float is good then it can only be the timer, if you get the part from the link I supplied and this does not fix the problem you can return the part even after it has been installed. My best guess over the computer is that the timer is shot because this kit includes a float and switch.

The part should come with installation instructions, if not it's a simple matter of opening the door taking the screws out around the inner liner behind the control panel, lift the control panel out, remove the knob, take the screws out behind the knob then switch timers.

The fact it is a kit to repair the water system it will come with full instructions.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I see where I can buy just the timer for $24.00 where the kit is 150. Do I need the kit?

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
If the float and switch is good I don't see why you would need to.