Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I was 3 year old Whirlpool Gold Frig/Freezer,

I was 3 year old Whirlpool Gold Frig/Freezer, freezer door was left ajar for about 5 hours. It has now been over 24 hours, and I have noticed the frig is no longer cool.
The freezer has frost on everything. I read where you should put the freezer on the lowest setting to see if that helps.
Does this sound correct? How long should it turn itself around if it is going to turn itself around? Fixable or buy another one.

Hello, My name isXXXXX you for choosing Just Answer, It is my pleasure to assist you today.
Good afternoon, Don't go buy a new one that's for sure , this is fixable. what you need to do is open the freezer and remove the back panel inside (behind your food) take a hair dryer and defrost it all, (the frost on the coils) what has happened is the frost is so thick on the coils the air cant pass through it and cool the fresh food section. defrost it all and then let it run and the refrigerator will recover overnight. I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

thank you for the info...i was not able to get the back off the frig in the freezer section but I was able to remove the food, and squeeze a dryer back there and get it defrosting.

I have been working on it for about 30 soon as I read your answer. I have about 3 dishtowels wet, full of water which drained off while I was drying it.

I heard the ice maker kick on ( i put the arm up). Do you believe that is the majority of it? It seemed to get down to a trickle into the dishtowel.

yes I know for sure that's your issue, what happens when you leave the door ajar the compressor keeps running and building up frost. its best to get the whole freezer section defrosted and then start the refrigerator again. it takes time to stabilize after you defrost it so it may take over night to get back to normal. one more thing, do you hear the fan in the freezer running ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I heard a fan running, not sure if in freezer.

Do you think what I did was satisfactory since I could not get the back off?

well if you got all of the frost out yes but you cant be sure without getting the panel out. why were you not able to remove it ? (tools ?) ice maker ? you need panel number 11 out on this diagram .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Let me see what I can do with the diagram. See my reply on the fan.

yes I saw your reply. if you heard a fan then it was the one I was talking about. you cant get the panel out theres another way if you have a place for you food. you can unplug the refrigerator and leave the doors open over night and it will defrost by itself but then you will need to wait another 24 hours after you plug it back in for this to recover completely. if that's something you could do theres less chance of breaking something while taking this apart.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

tried again but I can't even get the top basket out to even get to the back. We hairdried some more, continue to see water dripping but at a lesser pace. I have everything out of the freezer in ice chest and have turned the setting to 1 on the freezer portion....hopefully it continues to thaw. If that does not work, I will go to your plan above since everything in the frig will be lost at that point. Thanks,

Okay yeah these can be difficult to get apart being its a French door bottom freezer ,.they are a pain. You should have seen the one I had to go work on the other day, it was a French door double drawer bottom freezer ! I almost gave up on that one but got it. you could get some dry ice and put it in a cooler then you food on top to keep it good. I'm so sorry this is such a pain. If you do get it defrosted enough then put your setting about 1/2 way on each the freezer and refrigerator section , that's the best settings. good luck and best wishes, Thanks,Bryan

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So far, so good...after we blew dried the back without actually removing the back panel, we dried everything out. I set the thermostat to the lowest level and we didn't open neither the frig or freezer for 24 hours.

When we did open it, the frig was considerably cooler and appeared back to normal. I increased the freezer setting at 4, (recommended) and we put what we didn't lose in there.

I am going to let it sit for another 12 hours without opening so things can settle down.

What do you think?

sounds like you got it ! Awesome job, I'm happy . everything should be all set. thanks and have a great night, Bryan