Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Replaced the touch buttons on my Samsung SMH9207ST. Received

Customer Question

Replaced the touch buttons on my Samsung SMH9207ST. Received the "SE" MSG and cleared same. The light, vent, etc did not work. Rechecked buttons and touch pad insuring they were snapped into place correctly. Still no luck. Taking a break, I tried to heat some food and learned also that this no longer works?
There must be a breaker or circuit protection somewhere?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! The "SE" message indicates that the control "sees" that a touch pad is shorted. If you have replaced the touch pad and are getting the same results, the connector on the board or the board itself is likely faulty and may need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When depressing the timer button I get what appears to be a normal display requesting time. But the light, vent and delay doesn't respond. I don't get an "SE" display now?

I checked the connnector for the touch pad, disconnecting and reconnecting, it appears it appears okay. I had ordered a new touch pad, but its back ordered.

Is there a breaker or fuse that could also be the culprit, since it no longer heats?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Oh, no. That is a touch pad error. So did you replace the touch pad already?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, its back ordered, only the the button assy, insuring it was snapped into place.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I thought you said you had replaced the touch pad. The SE is a very specific error. There is one thing you can try, though.

Unplug the unit and use a hair dryer to heat each button until as warm as you can get it without damaging anything and rub very firmly over each button, several times, after heated. Often times, this will restore operation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What I'm understanding is disassemble and remove touch pad. Heat with a hair dryer and rub each button firmly, several times and hope it works, correct?

Question how does this impact the oven's cooking (heating), which for whatever reason no longer heats?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
No, you don't have to disassembly anything. Just heat the buttons you push to program the oven. It won't affect the heating, only the button operation. However, with the "SE" error, it will affect the control, so we need to tend to that error first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will try be back later...

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
You bet, keep me posted!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think we were speaking of two different parts. You apparently were focusing on the control strip below the microwave door and I was speaking of the light and ventilation switch on the right side of the microwave. The problem of the oven not heating was a connector that was not connected.

I'm sure it probably the way I discribed the problem.

Case in point, replace Button Assy. as follows:

1) Unplug unit.

2) Remove the top facial above the door.

3) Remove screw at top of control closure on the right side, and lift up and off. Caution, remove slowly, there is a circuit board attached.

4) Remove the 3 screws holding ckt. board.

5) Remove pan underneath ckt. board (caution insure you unplug the connection to the swt. board at the bottom).

6) Remove the square swt. board and then the button assy or the button assy complete with ckt. board. **Recommend replacing both board and button assy. Approx. cost for parts $15.00.