Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I bought a 10 yr old Fridge (Hotpoint No-Frost CSX20EF). The

I bought a 10 yr old Fridge (Hotpoint No-Frost CSX20EF). The freezer will freeze water (ice) but the ice cream remains soft even after a max cool setting. I laid the unit down in the bck of my pickup on the way home...30 minutes. Are there any diagnostics I can do to determine if it can be fixed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the first thing you need to do to see what is going on is to remove everything out of the freezer. Remove the screws going into the lower back panel inside the freezer and remove this panel in the back of your freezer. This will expose the silver evaporator coils. Can you tell me exactly what you see as far as frost build up goes? Are the coils lightly frosted from top to bottom? Is there some frost on top but not on bottom? etc... Also, do you hear the fan inside the freezer up to running?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The inside panel is off. There is no panel on the fridge back. The coil is iceless upper and lower, and cool to the touch. Its not cold at all.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Aye, there is no panel in the fridge, just in the freezer.

But that being said, it appears that you have found your problem. Those coils should be lightly frosted from top to bottom. Since they are not frosted, you have a sealed system problem. you need to pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel behind the entire unit to see the compressor. Make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. if the fan is running, then you either have a freon leak, a bad compressor, or a restriction in the freon line. Since you said that you transported the unit on it's back (you can never transport a refrigerator any way other than standing upright) most likely you have a restriction. You'd need to have a technician come and check the freon pressure to know exactly what issue you have, but a restriction repair is usuallya bout $450 or so to replace the heat exchanger and restriction and then re-charge the unit with freon.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.